Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reticle advice for AccuPoint

Beebs317

I think I've decided on a Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4x TR24, I need help with reticle design and color?? I plan to use it on an AR Carbine for 3 gun, mostly short range, but possible 250-300 yds. shots?

Edited by Beebs317

I like the German #4 with the green dot. I use green on my SG and pistol so it was a no brainer for me to choose the color. I think the cross hairs are the way to go for long range shooting.

+1

JJ

Red triangle. Top of point out to 300. Use bottom of triangle out to 450, with left and right point for windage. At 100 yds and in, the triangle is like a dot and faster with both eyes open. Hard to use crosshairs with both eyes open. If you are hunting, crosshairs probably better.

Hard to use crosshairs with both eyes open. If you are hunting, crosshairs probably better.

Jade,

You're not going to sell me on that triangle.

I don't even see the cross hairs when I am shooting both eyes open on CQB type hosing. The one MOA green dot that is glowing is all that catches my attention. Its kind of like shooting an open pistol with a dot sight. I use a target focus sight picture and let the dot fall in the A zone and squeeze.

The different thinkness on the cross hairs are helpful for bracketing USPSA targets at different distances as well. I use the vertical crosshair to make sure I get an A hit on head shots by aligning the cross hair with the top of the head.

Edited by jtischauser

Willie, As much as it pains me, I gotta go with Jesse on this one, I've used the Triangle and really like the German #4 better. the crosshairs are not even noticed when hosing, and the small dot makes accuracy very easy.

trapr

I prefer the triangle also. In Red. The other benefit to the triangle is in close head shots. Hold dead on, using the triangle like a dot, and you don't have to worry about holding high.

I find the very fine point of the tip easier than a crosshair at distance, and the 4 moa triangle is a good referance for size estimation, once you know the ranges and moa subtensions.

I find green a good twilight color, but for the wide range of lighting conditions, backgrounds and target colors, red is for me the most versatile color. To my eyes it is always very distinct and super fast to acquire. Green and amber would wash or blend with certain backgrounds in bright light.

It all comes down to individual preferance and possibly what you are used to, or willing to get used to. I grew up using an old european scope with a pointed post reticle, so the triangle was very natural for me. I have had others try it and after a bit of time, thay also like very much the triangle reticle.

whichever you decide for whatever your reasons, you will have a great scope in the TR24.

I like the Germans I just can't see them when I am trying to go fast-such as it is. I wear contacts also, which I think affects perception. I think this is one of those things that you have to try the reticle. My first fiberoptic was on a Remington Tac 4 and I loved it-green. I've got an ACOG with the amber cross hairs-love that. I wanted a better scope so I was going to get a Trijicon variable with the green-somebody let me try their red triangle TR24 and that was like wow. It took me a good six months to learn the hold offs and windage for it, but it's like so on now it just feels great to get on those long targets. I wish that Trijicon had a website like Eotech so you could kind of play with the reticle. I hear ya Trapr.

4moa at 4x. at 100 yds approx. 4"

Thank you.

So what does that mean at 1x? Is it still 4moa, or does the triangle stay fixed and is therefore 16 moa at 1x?

If you zero on the tip, is it still zero'd there for both settings?

I appreciate the feedback. This is on my short-list of scopes I want.

I've been digging through the forum the last few weeks and haven't been able to find those questions answered.

-rvb

Thank you.

So what does that mean at 1x? Is it still 4moa, or does the triangle stay fixed and is therefore 16 moa at 1x?

I've been digging through the forum the last few weeks and haven't been able to find those questions answered.

-rvb

Yes, it will cover 16moa of the target at 1x. The TR24 (like most other common scopes) has a "2nd" focal plane reticle, so the reticle stays the same size even as magnification changes... but since you're reducing the magnification from 4x to 1x, the image gets 4x smaller, and the reticle *appears* 4x bigger in relation to the image.

ETA: It's almost counter-intuitive that the fixed-size ("2nd" focal plane) reticles appear to change size on the target at different magnifications, and the variable-size ("1st" focal plane) reticles appear the same size on the target at different magnifications... ;)

Edited by Xfactor

Thank you.

-rvb

What they said above. Yes it is still zeroed, however it is used a little differently. You just put triangle on point of impact (about 1" higher 50yds and in) like a red dot when you are at 1x. The whole point of variable scopes. Check this out Trijicon Specs. (The picture is not of a TR24). You see that Trijicon only recommends the triangle for BAC, which is explained here Bindon AC. Hence my preference for the triangle. If you get the red triangle and don't like it, you will be able to sell it here in about 10 minutes. The green is a harder sell.

Thanks for all the info, fellas. (and thanks Beebs for letting me tag along on your thread).

I came into this thread about 51/49 in favor of the triangle over the german cross hairs. I think now it's about 75/25. Hopefully I can look through a couple before I'm ready to buy (still building the rifle it'll go on. It'll be a while...).

-rvb

Thanks for all the info, fellas. (and thanks Beebs for letting me tag along on your thread).

I came into this thread about 51/49 in favor of the triangle over the german cross hairs. I think now it's about 75/25. Hopefully I can look through a couple before I'm ready to buy (still building the rifle it'll go on. It'll be a while...).

-rvb

Sounds like we need a poll.

• 2 weeks later...

Found a dealer that had a Red Triangle and Ger #4 Green. I really like the red triangle for short range, but the triangle is SO big at 4x. I'm looking at buying one scope for all/most ranges. Can someone clue me in about focal planes vs. reticle size? Laymans terms please.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...