Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XD or XDM

OkieZombies

Between the XD and the XDM.... is there any noticeable difference in bench-rest accuracy?

I know the XDM totes a "match-grade" barrel.... but er.... what's the difference between that barrel and the regular XD barrel?

Relating one experience: I shot my XD (Tru-Grip and Pistol Gear match barrel) and a friend's XDM (stock) through the same match stage. Performance was equivalent (XDM needs grip tape, IMHO). I did not try bench rest accuracy.

There is a write up on the XDM in the current american rifleman magazine. Doesn't say much about the barrels but the mag capacity got bumped up in the M.

To me it is personal preference.

I shoot an XD .40 but there are several guys in my club that shoot XDm .40's and accuracy wise I can not tell the difference. ;)

I think the main differences to consider are:

1) Larger mag capacity

2) Are the interchangeable backstraps worth it to the shooter.

I would say to have the person go to a range and rent both and shoot them or see if they can borrow one from someone in your local USPSA club. Personally, I do not like what they did with the grip blocks on the XDm series.

Then I might also suggest trying out a S&W M&P as well jut for comparisons sake. When I switched to a high thumbs/thumbs forward grip my hands just seem to fall into place automatically on a plain XD and an M&P. If I were to buy a new pistol it would probably be one of the new M&P pro's in .40. :sight:

• 4 weeks later...

Ive an xd and an xdm. I dont think the xdm is any more accurate, but it feels much better in my hand. I like the small grip panel and the trigger is WAYYY better right outta the box. In Peoduction, mag capacity isnt a real issue but an extra 5 rounds of .40 with basepads in Limited is a big plus to me... I love my XDM, lots of others dont...... Just my .02

• 1 month later...

Thinking of getting an XD Tactical .40 or an M&P Pro for Production. Was wondering which is best? BTW.....still having a problem buying something from S&W given how the company handled certain past gun control legislation. Seems like when pressured by anti-gun people, they tucked tail and conceded.