Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster and other related gear for Production

Jody Waring

Just wondering what you guys like the most and why, I know in USPSA you guys aren't allowed race holsters? I just ordered a Bladetech, and will be using it with a CR Belt and pouches. Haven't really seen much else in use, I decided to try the Bladetech just to simplify my gear a little. Also wondering, we only have 10 rounds in Canada, and you guys too for Production, are you using the factory mags, or just loading 10 in the standard capacity magazines? I see CZ Custom has an aluminum lower to replace the plastic, looks really cool. Anyone tried them? Thanks for all your input guys, I appreciate it.

Blade Tech DOH for production, hands down favorite. I NEVER buy any mags other than Hi cap.

They are easier to get 10 rounds in for one. For the other, you never know when Hi Caps will get outlawed again.

For me, it's a thumbs down on the DOH. The holster twists and seems to bind up the gun on the way out of the holster. It maybe simply an issue with my draw technique. I was taught to draw straight up, but I think my anatomy causes the DOH to be canted inwards against my thigh. I had the same issues trying this with my Glock and Tanfoglio's. For some reason the Beretta was just slightly better with less binding.

My short term solution was to remove the DOH arm. The downside is that I had to give up the nice drop that put the grip at just the right place for my arm length. My long term solution was to use the Comp-Tac paddle holster. It puts the grip lower than where it would be using the Bladetech without the DOH. Unfortunately, not quite as low as the DOH.

I just bought a Double Alpha PDR for my Shadow. I wanted to try something other than Bladetech. I almost lost my P220 out of my DOH in a 3 gun match last year (pretty dang tight too) so I guess I don't really trust it anymore.

If you buy a PDR you will hate it at first. :D The dang gun won't come out. Not till you lube and slick up the liner some first. Haven't used it in a match yet, hope to this weekend. Starting to like it.

I went with their "doh" version, thinking I should have gone with the high ride design for a few reasons. I may try it with a tech lock.

Edited by cas

Hi there Jody,

The year that I shot production was from a BT DOH and BT mag pouches. All in an attractive carbon fiber finish that I bought from Todd Sindelar (Turtle). This was all mounted on a CR speed belt. Perfectly stable and fast. I used the Tec-lock thing on the holster because it allows you to move the holster forward a tad more :rolleyes: . I used both Mec-Gar and factory 10 round mags and the factory were just a bit more reliable than the Mec-Gars. I never gave any thought to replacing the plastic part since they worked fine and I buy gun stuff for shootin, not stylin...

Later,

Chuck

PS: I do know who makes the CZ factory mags ;)

Add another vote for the Blade-Tech DOH. Works great for me. Also using the BT Double Mag Pouches. All hung from a Double-Alpha belt.

I use the hi-cap mags. I can also use the gun in Limited, since I just know I'm never gonna get anything but A's. ;)

Edited by Jeff Matzka