Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M1a issues

hopalong

It just wiggles in place. NOT much but just enough to bother me. The tension on the windage and elevation knobs is fine.

Any ideas to get rid of the slop ?

HOP

Do you mean the hooded aperature of a N.M. sight? Or the whole elevation rack?

The rear sight cover acts like a spring to keep tension on the rear sight. Only other option I can think of is just worn teeth on either the elevation pinion or worn teeth on the peep.

You should be able to pop the cover off and put a little more down tension in the part of it that puts pressure on the peep. (Sorry for lack of proper terminology.)

Edited by Bryan 45

Hop,

Has it been like this or did it just start?

If it wobbles side to side you can remove the peep rack and peen the sides

(four small punch width areas, two per side)

to make them wider and then stone and lap to fit the slot.

Or..... buy few G.I. replacements with the hope one fits up better.

I think with some looking you can find just the sight rack. Hooded or non-hooded.

If all you want is a non-hooded replacement, post the width of the current sight and

I will see if I have a wider one.

If you don't have the Kunhausen (sp?) book or the Clint McKee (green book) you should.

They both cover this National Match procedure.

Patrick

Kelly,

The sight cover and the peep itself all wiggle. I don't know when it started as I've been playing .223 for the last few years until very recently. It all stays where it is supposed to be, but has "wiggle" in it.

I'm shooting it in the Birmingham rifle match this weekend and won't mess with it until afterwards. I'll then let you know what I find.

Thanks all.

HOP

Hop,

If you decide to use the punch trick, use caution, the base is hardened, and can crack. Not to mention flatten out the tip of your punch. I was taught to dimple one side, not two. You have a full bearing surface on one side, rather than 4 tiny ones. It also keeps the vertical tracking true.

Are you kidding ????

Kurt had it all winter. When I sent it home with him the sight was fine. Now that I got it back it isn't.....................HMMMMM maybe he doesn't want me kicking his A$$ with it !!!!!! :devil::sight::sight:

I actually talked to him the day before I found the "Trouble".

This weekend at Birmingham everything kept going right even after I clicked left a few extra clicks so I think this is a new problem.

Thanks guys.

Oh and Kelly, I know it is a small match but Maybe you can make the MS 3-gun challenge October 9,10 in Corinth Mississippi

And anyone else that might be interested.

HOP

Actually I did it Hop! I bet a few people you could kick Kurt's butt, even with a loose sight! :)

It looked fine when I saw it over at Kurt's before high plains, but I remember Trapr saying he needed a way to pound the steel holders in and didn't have a hammer! Hmmmmm

m