Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield Armory Optics

WJL

I do not own one of these scopes but on most of the websites this question has popped up on the consensus has been that they are overpriced garbage . For the same price you could get a Bushnell Elite 3200 or 4200 , Weaver Grand Slam or with some prudent shopping on some of the Tactical rifle websites turn up a Leupold . Even the Tasco super sniper doesnt get pounded like these scopes when asked about . Check over at the Snipers Hide forum and run a search on it for the last 30 days and you should find several threads .

• 3 months later...

I put one of the 6-20 56mm illuminated mil-dot Springfields on Liota's PSS. HS Precision stock, 8-round detachable magazines, 20moa tapered bases, Badger rings...

Before I go any further, I must admit that I really like Leupold scopes. I have them on all my rifles (heck, even my Clark 10/22). The big difference is eye relief...you don't have to center up in a Leupold, but the Springfields want you to be centered or else they are not clear. My next scope...for my new AR10...will be a Leupold Mark 4 illuminated mil-dot 4-14...

That said...yesterday, I was out at the 900 yard range with Liota's 300 Win Mag PSS. Shot a 1.5" group (5 mph crosswind...hey, I'm still learning this long range crap, don't laugh at my bad group!) at 200 yards to start things off. Then I followed the dial-a-hit plan to first-shot-wack 12" plates at 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, and 800. 900 yards has a 18" plate...three shots, three hits.

Then I dialed down 86 clicks and put the last shot in the middle of that 3-round 200 yard group that I started from.

Today I made a laminated 'stock card' with the appropriate settings for range, since I verified them all yesterday.

Sure, it is only a $600 (retail) scope. But it has a 30mm tube with a 56mm objective, mil dots, great illumination, and is repeatable with exact return-to-zero.

Alex

It is my understanding that Springfield Armory scopes were at one time made by Hakko of Japan, the same company now making them for Smith and Wesson.

that would account for the low prize and questionable quality. If they are being "redesigned", I imagine that Springfield has farmed them out to a different vendor for manufacture.

• 2 weeks later...

Chriss,

would you have any feedback on whether Hakko has ever produced a decent quality scope? And what would be the trade name on it?

Interesting that CDNN is already clearing out the S&W scopes (Hakko made) for under $200.

HA HA HA!!!! Makes ALL of Trijicon's scopes!!! :lol::lol: That's a good one!!! Having been involved in Trijicon's product line for about the last 5 years ( I shoot for them, or used to did). I can assure you that Haku.. anything Japan... DOESN'T make Trijicon scopes. They really are made in Michigan, and you ought to see the "clean room " they are made in! I love this "urban ledgend" Where did you hear this one???

I looked on the Hakko website and this:

http://www.hakko-japan.co.jp/optical/index.htm

is all I found. Click on "riflescopes", then select "Trijicon" from the pull down menu. They USED to have all the accupoint scopes listed, and maybe some ACOGs as well, and every model of Springfield Armory scope as well. I couldn't find any of those this time. So, now I am not sure what is made where and if they are copies or not. Maybe they make some here and some there?

Trijicon has a 40,000 sq ft facility in Wixon, MI where their product lines are assembled. In looking at product boxes and statements on them, Acog's and Reflexes definitely do not come out of Japan.

It is possible that Accupoints were farmed out for manufacture since they are so different that the rest of the Trij line. It is also possible that Hakko, at one time, was making knock offs to sell to less than astute buyers looking for a bargain on Trij stuff.

But, Hakko definitely does not make the better Trijicon lines. If that was the case, we would not be facing the current situation of demand so much greater than supply.

My Accupoint has a label "Made In Japan" :huh:

Pacman,

Do you have the 3x9? Is the CQT a much better scope than the Accupoint? Or did you just want a different scope?

I now have the 1.25x4 Accupoint, it is a late Xmas present ;). So far, I think both (CQT & Accupoint) are just about on equal footing optic wise. The true 1x of the CQT is unbeatable in short courses and its battery powered reticle was priceless in the dark house on Stage #1 at this year's SMM3G, but I like the glowing red triangle of the Accupoint out in the open. Zoom adjustment is much easier with the Accupoint. For longer ranges, I still prefer the 3 moa dot of the CQT, but probably 'cause I have been using it much longer than the Accupoint, this might change once I get to shoot it more. Neither one has any marking for longer range BDC, but then again that's not a real problem out to 400 yds or so.

R.Shooter,

Now that you mentioned it, I noticed the weight difference between these two scopes unmounted, but once on the rifle, it really wasn't noticeable at all. I personally prefer a slightly heavier rifle, but that didn't stop me from hosing down a short range 36 rounds stage at the last week's local 3-G match :D