Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a kydex Doctor

jsneff

I was at the Wanenmacher Gun Show in Tulsa and found an AS NEW in Bag, Comp-Tac paddle for a SIG P226R. I have a Comp-Tac belt holster for my P226 that I like, so I bought this paddle to use with my 226ST's with rails. Problem is, the holster fits like crap. It does not have the crisp molded lines like my other Comp-Tac holster. I called Comp-Tac and they said they didn't even want to look at it since I didn't buy it from a Comp-Tac dealer or have a receipt. That was a shocker, I mistakenly assumed they would be more of "Dillon" type policy and just tell me to send it in. I would have been happy if they said they will see what we can do but no guarantees but I just got attitude. I am going to curb my crappy customer service rant and move on to asking for help.

Either the holster was molded poorly or it got baked and lost it's shape, not a retention screw issue just poor fit in general. Does anybody out there have some good steps for remolding this holster?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jeff

Edited by jsneff

I've got the same problem with a holster I bought second hand for a 1911 with light rail. Normal 1911 will fit, but my Kimber TLE/RL II won't seat all the way, it seems the area for the rail on the bottom isn't deep enough and the bump that locks the trigger guard in doesn't quite reach.... I'd be interested to see if you come up with a remedy to your issue, maybe I could do something similar

From personal experience, if you bought the holster from Comp-Tac and it wasn't right, they will fix it quick, fast and in a hurry! Greg takes pride in his workmanship! IMHO, too many variables are involved when you purchase a used holster. Unless you get one heck of a deal, I would fork out the extra $$ and purchase a new one. Just my .02.

I have owned half a dozen holsters from Comp-Tac as well. I think they make as good a kydex holster as you can get. I am not holding them responsible for the condition of this holster. I was just a little surprised by their FU attitude when I called them and explained my problem. It went something like this "You didn't buy it from us, you didn't buy it from a dealer, you don't have a receipt, FU!" Now compare that to Dillon, where the conversation would go something like this, "you bought it from a friend and don't have a receipt? Send it in, we'll fix it." or Aimpoint, where I just sent in my ML2 I bought used, back to Aimpoint, customer service was friendly and they fixed it. I guess we(shooters) may be spoiled by some of best customer service and support in the world. Companies like Dillon, Aimpoint, Leupold..., So how about this for a scenario. "Hey Jeff, send in that holster and we'll see what we can do, worst case we will sell you a brand new holster at a discount." I mean, we're talking $5 worth of plastic vs. the reputation of the company. Yes, they don't owe me a thing, but not even a "we'll try" or a tiny bit of courtesy. Is that the way you want all of the companies that we support in the shooting industry to start behaving?

I'll take my lump, if Comp-Tac didn't make such a good holster, it would be easier to digest. I might even buy another holster from them. I would just rather buy a holster from them because of their customer service and not in spite of it.

I am going to heat this thing up and try to mold it better to the pistol. I have nothing to lose! Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Jeff