Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DRY FIRING EXERCISE SAFE FOR GUN?

G34 CORDY

when doing dry fire exercises do i have to have a dummy round in the chamber or can i just pull the trigger with nothing in the chamber? i have heard its bad and i have heard it will not hurt anything

For .22's and particularly match grade .22 rifles and pistols the dummy round is highly recommended to prevent damage to the firing pin. For most centerfire pistols, there shouldn't be any problems. I don't have enough knowledge about centerfire rifles to comment.

It shouldn't hurt any centerfire pistol. I know for a fact dry firing a S&W 22A will destroy it. Cordy, you get that Glock already? All you had hoped for? BTW, the trigger will probably get better the more you dry fire it. It will wear a bit of the burrs off of it, making it a bit smoother....Did you ever dry fire your XDM much?

grumpyone i pick the 34 up first thing in the morning i cant wait it feels like christmas lol... no i never dry fired my xdm because i didnt know if i would hurt anything or not. i put the xdm up for sale. iam not going to be using it anymore so iam making room in the safe.

Dry-fire practice is really a requirement in this game from what I've learned. I would say that when you do it...take your time and do everything right. If you have a timer, set a par time and practice the draw and trigger against shorter and shorter par times until you are eventually trying to "catch" the beep. It has helped me in a huge way. I also practice magazine changes the same way to gain some speed and confidence. I only competed in my first match a couple of weeks ago but practiced the fundamentals all winter. It really helped keep the bug going by picking up the gun everyday and focusing on my goals. You can get really intense and keep a daily log of all the practice and excercises you do in both dry-fire and live-fire practice.

a glock armorer said somewhere on this forum that you have to dry-fire like 10 million times a year to put any kind of wear on the gun.

FWIW I blew a 1/4" hole in the breach face of my Glock with dryfire. A friend of mine did the same thing with his. Mine was a Lone Wolf slide, but my friends was stock. Do a search and you can probabably find the threads about it.

Oh, and snap caps screwed up the extractors on 2 of my guns...

I think the striker blowing a hole in a factory slide is very rare. I'll take my chances and in th event the it does happen to me I'm confident Glock will make it right. I think dry firing has benefits that far outweigh and possible damages to the gun. YMMV.