Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder for lead bullets

Im trying to find a good powder for lead in my 9mm 1911. Ive got Bullseye and Universal. Ive reloaded Bullseye at 3.3gr but don't know where to start for Universal. I was thinking around 3.5.

And what is better for lead fast burning or slower burning powders.

Im trying to find a good powder for lead in my 9mm 1911. Ive got Bullseye and Universal. Ive reloaded Bullseye at 3.3gr but don't know where to start for Universal. I was thinking around 3.5.

Generally a medium to slow burner will smoke less with lead, but it has more to do with the composition of powder. If you shoot a double base like Titegroup with a high nitro content with lead/lubed bullets it's usually going to smoke like a freight train. Then you can use a single base like Solo or another powder with a very low nitro content like American Select; they burn nearly as fast or faster than Titegroup, but with less smoke.

Personally, I gave up lead for moly for the most part, but Solo 1000 always did well for me, as did Unique (depending on the purpose of the load).

As far as where to start... take advantage of the resources out there and purchase a couple good loading manuals. Internet wisdom is fine when tempered with a bit of research on your part.

Edited by dsmw5142

The burn rate that is best is what ever "impulse" you like. Each powder will do something different with each type of bullets. There is no right or wrong here, you just need to figure out what combination works better in your gun.

I've recently switched from WW231 to WSF (Winchester Super Field) with a lead 147 grain RNFP, and did notice a reduction in smoke. There was a further reduction in smoke when I switched the lead bullet to a BBI moly coated bullet.

I like N320 for my lead. I've heard of people with good results with Solo 1000. Whose bullets are you using? If you cast it yourself, what lube are you using? The lube is what is responsible for most of the smoke.

that last part is a bit of an old wive's tale in my opinion.

I have experimented shooting my own home cast and sized but UNlubed boolits and they still smoked.

if you're really that interested, do A search for my screenname and use they keyword "smoke" for example. in other posts in other threads I think I have hypothesized on why lead boolits smoke more than copper jacketed pro-jo's.

I have not used lead bullets in 9mm for ca. 10 years. When I did use themn I stuck to the 147 gr. cast lead at ca. 900 fps using W-231. The WW 14th edition reloading manual list the folowing for 147 gr. lead bullets:

3.3 gr. W-231 = 865 fps = 29000 psi

3.5 gr. W-231 = 905 fps = 32100 psi

With universal I started with 3.8 with a 125gr lrn.