Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solo 1000

I just started reloading, bought a reloading book and looked online but can not find load size for 9mm 147 grain bullets. Can anyone help me or tell me where I can find this data?

Thanks

There really isn't a whole lot of published data for Solo 1000, and a lot of it seems quite conservative. With a Montana Gold 147gr CMJ, I got 133PF with 3.85gr at 1.124" OAL. With a Precision Delta 147gr FMJ-TC, I got 131PF with the same 3.85gr at 1.125". Both were out of a Smith M&P Pro 5". I'd expect to see a couple of points higher out of a G34. Also, keep in mind that I did those tests at 35* F and Solo 1000 is reverse temperature sensitive...it gets slower as the temp goes up. R,

Somewhere I have a PDF of an old SCOT reloading manual that has load data for 9mm and Solo 1000. I'll track it down tomorrow and post it up (if not, PM me and remind me).

Here the data I referenced. I picked this up a long while back in a separate Solo 1000 thread. I have no idea how old this is. I have used this data as a baseline for loading 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP.

YMMV, standard reloading disclaimers apply, if you blow up your gun or blow your hand off, it's not my fault. ;)

Solo 1000 Load data (8thEdHandgunS100012501500RSDPearl ).pdf

Solo 1000 varies a bunch from lot to lot. I got data from the forum that suggested 3.2gr with a 147 moly lead bullet, for 130ish PF. I ended up working up to 3.7gr to get 134 PF. Any time the lot changes, I'd start low and work up.

Solo 1000 varies a bunch from lot to lot. I got data from the forum that suggested 3.2gr with a 147 moly lead bullet, for 130ish PF. I ended up working up to 3.7gr to get 134 PF. Any time the lot changes, I'd start low and work up.

Agreed,

I am currently running 3.5gr with 147gr BBI for 134PF. The lots do seem to vary quite a bit. The data from Accurate is VERY conservative from what I've experienced.

Right at the top of the load data pdf, there is a warning not to use magnum primers. I've seen numerous posts here where shooters claim not to see much difference between small pistol primers and small pistol magnum primers. The magnum primers seem a bit easier to find. But based on the warning that Alliant has given, I'm a bit reluctant to try them.

Does anybody out there have some relevant experience/knowledge to shed some light on this? Is it safe to use magnum primers with S-1000? Under what conditions would it be unsafe?

Every data sheet is going to warn against using different primers because they will have affect the pressure and max charge specs. During the height of the component shortage many people were using whatever primers they could find with minimal (~ +15fps) effects on performance and pressure. Do a search in the reloading area and you'll find lots of data about using magnum primers. I'd be shocked if real world S1000 loads ever came close to what Accurate is listing as their data is way out of date.

P.S. If in doubt don't put your health at risk...

Edited by blind bat

Just loaded some test rounds tonight. 3.6, 3.8 and 3.9 samples (9mm) Didn't expect how much a charge like that would fill up a 9mm case.

Had to do some quadruple measuring. Solo 1000 is a pretty "fluffy" powder, I guess. I have been loading with a Winchester commercial powder that is similar to 231. Charge weights at 3.9 grains takes a lot less volume in the case.