Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ever had a squib or double charge?

G-ManBart

I had some squib loads in .45 ACP with my Dillon 550B. The allen head bolt for the powder bar actuating arm loosened up allowing the plastic attachment to the powder bar to disengage. Noticed the problem, put the arm back in place and tightened the bolt to fix the problem.

Voted 550 because I have had one squib with it. Not sure if it was no powder at all, little powder due to the measure binding up, or poor ignition (this was my first try using Trail Boss which is funky stuff).

Back when I used a Lee turret in semi-progressive mode, I had many.

Never had a double-charge.

I have a LNL so far (knocks on wood) I haven't had a squib but I've had the busing for the powder measure loosen up and the entire powder measure was pushed up by the case. Pretty hard to miss.

I would think any press that requires manually operating the shell plate would be more likely to induce a double or squib. An auto-indexing system takes a lot of human error out of the equation provided the indexing is working correctly. I have nothing against the blue kool-aid.

I easily have 350k rounds reloaded on my poor little RCBS Pro 2000 of all kinds of rifle and pistol rounds, and have only loaded one squib. These rounds were loaded mostly manual index. Only within the last year or so have I had the auto-indexer on it. The squib was entirely my fault, I caught it, but only after it hit the finished bullet bin, and I pulled the ammo for slow fire practice with my 45 ACP 1911. Found it in the last 5 rounds fired.

It's 99.9% reloader, and 0.1% machine.

I easily have 350k rounds reloaded on my poor little RCBS Pro 2000 of all kinds of rifle and pistol rounds, and have only loaded one squib. These rounds were loaded mostly manual index. Only within the last year or so have I had the auto-indexer on it. The squib was entirely my fault, I caught it, but only after it hit the finished bullet bin, and I pulled the ammo for slow fire practice with my 45 ACP 1911. Found it in the last 5 rounds fired.

Was the squib loaded while in the manual index mode or auto index mode?

Double charge and two overcharges. Finally figured out that the powder measure resets if you lower the handle just enough to seat a bullet @ station 3 (would do that if I forgot to put a bullet there). The first caliber I started loading was .45 on the SDB, and at that time the powder measure wouldn't reset if I lowered the handle enough to seat a bullet @ station 3 because the .45 case is shorter and the powder bar was sticky. Over time the powder measure slicked up and it and started resetting. Eventually I had a few overcharges in .38 special and figure out what was going on. The bad habit came back while loading 9MM and I had a double charge. I upgraded the powder measure so that it doesn't reset via a spring and I no longer go back to seat a bullet if I forget. I let the case and powder dump into the finished cartridge jigger. I also check every charge visually.

I happen to be the ro in a match this weekend,shooter in early 20's shooting single stack 45,shooter ready,buzzz-first four shots then pop,STOP SQUIB,shooter ***&^^%% looks in the barrel put pencel in ok,next two then pop,shooter ((**&^^^%) give me that pencel OK,change mags-- pop--stop--shooter looked it's clear I stand back,,this is a 32 rd cof,next twoshots pop pop but they all cleared the barrel--shooter dam titegroup--I ask where you get your bullets,I loaded them he said,you need to stop I said,but he finished the match without any more trouble,,,HE said don't know what happened,they all had enough powder to clear the gun-next stageI excused myself from RO----dillon 550---he said

If you never had a sq**&^b and have been loading over 30 minutes you are really good or a good lier--but on 99.9% of the time it was not the mach fault,, :roflol:

I have to say that the main reaon I didn't have a squib was because I always look. Of the thousands of rounds that I have loaded in the last two years, that was the first time, and I found it because I ALWAYS LOOK. I know what I did wrong too. I was checking charge weights. If you don't raise the arm to a certain position, the powder won't drop a charge. I was trying to just run a primed/belled cartridge from one to three, pull it and weigh it. But you have to raise and lower the arm enough not to deprime the casing, but enough to reset the powder measure.

My error.

Edited by JimmyZip

Was the squib loaded while in the manual index mode or auto index mode?

Auto. Was still in the learning phase and I knew it indexed as I fixed another problem. So, no double charge, but could have been a squib buried in the completed rounds. I dump my completed rounds pretty regular, and if I have a questionable reloading sequence, I pull the entire bin. If I think there might be a double charge (only once), I soak the rounds in bleach water and toss the whole lot. Bleach kills the primers.