Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 bullet issue

Me again, everything is working great except for every 3rd or so round station 4 loads the bullet but "peels" part of the copper jacket from my 230 grain RN bullet. I've included a horrible picture, possible the decapping die is set to low and crimping the case in stage 1??? Any info or comments would be great

DSC00047.jpg

This is my first time reloading pistol and I've never run across this with my rifle reloading.

Edited by genbrad

It looks like you might need more of a bell from your powder die. Also if the jacket on the bullets is that soft, I would consider different bullets like Montana Golds or Zero's.

How much flare/bell does your powder drop/belling die put in the case? There has to be a bit so the bullet can be set into it. Next the bullet seater will push the bullet into the case and then on to the crimp die where the bell is pushed back in and the amount of crimp you have set it for will be applied.

CYa,

Pat

It looks that way to me. The bell/flair for jacketed bullets should be small, but visible. When you set the bullet on the flaired case mouth, it should stay upright on the case, maybe 1/32" - 1/16" into the case. I don't think your decapping is the problem. I don't know much about the 650 (I load on a 550), but the decapping/sizing is done in the first stage, the bell/flair is done on the powder drop stage, so there is no way your decapper is "crimping" the case. But, like I said, I'm not a 650 guru....

Me again, everything is working great except for every 3rd or so round station 4 loads the bullet but "peels" part of the copper jacket from my 230 grain RN bullet. I've included a horrible picture, possible the decapping die is set to low and crimping the case in stage 1??? Any info or comments would be great

For any press, setting the correct bell/flare is trial and error / observation process. Too little bell and you'll get results like in your pic. Too much bell and the bullet will tend to easily tip a bit after you set it on the case.

be