Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading between boxes

Every time the X-wing fighter dips into the swamp, yoda tells Luke to quit trying and just get the damn thing out of the muck.

I think I'm entering my over-analyze everything phase.

I'm taking what has never been a problem and trying to get an extra tenth of a second out of it.

Intuitively I know that over-analyzing is bad, but don't we have to analyze to improve?

In Brian's book, he and Rob analyzed everything and then decided they didn't care so much about the minutia of it all, and just shot the course of fire.

Looking backward from their experience, we can see the results of their deconstruction of it all and how they decided to just let go...BUT...can we skip the process ourselves and realize our full potential?

Thanks guys,

SA

I can't see the point in burning out course builders and designers just to pay lip service to the freestyle concept.

Over here, at club level at least, we have just replaced boxes with ports, neither necessarily create or stiffle choice, which is what I feel is important

(sorry to be so grumpy, I've broken a bone in my right hand :( )

Our ranges have some strict physical restrictions, and we don't want to burn out our Stage designers/ROs.

So, most everything is either a shooting box or a shooting port.  We try to get freestyle stages, but we don't worship at the altar of "engage targets as they become visible" course description.

And yes, you Must Call the last shot before starting the reload, otherwise your reload will look like a Marx brothers routine.

My interpretation of that comment is that you want to sucessfully complete the array in front of you before reloading/heading to the next box.  

I used to shoot in a sort of IDPA/IPSC combination match that almost always consisted of nothing but 3 target arrays separated with boxes and/or barracades.  Not overly exciting, but I learned how to reload in the 10 feet of ground I had to cover between positions.  This ended up helping me with the frequent reloading necessary when shooting L-10 in USPSA matches.

"Looking backward from their experience, we can see the results of their deconstruction of it all and how they decided to just let go...BUT...can we skip the process ourselves and realize our full potential?"

I for one am going to be fascinated by Brian's answer to this question. Honestly I can see so many potential answers.

I was kinda hoping he'd bite on that one...

I was flipping thru "the book" tonite during dinner, and it seemed like he encourages the reader to try ideas he has discarded, as our mileage will vary.

I would guess that we're all going to go thru our own phases whether we think we should, and whether we want to or not.

SA

Steve- great question. IMHO, even when someone gives us the "best" answer, we can still learn from deconstructing the process ourselves (I think we should!). I think of it like this: if there’s a particular lick or riff I’d like to learn, you could give me the notes, but how much did I really learn from that? Now if I transcribe it myself, I might pick up the phrasing and the subtle nuances etc. I mean, I can’t remember the first riff someone taught me, but I can remember "Crossroads" note-for-note because I spent all those hours working it out ;)

Steve,

Allright, I bit.

"Looking backward from their experience, we can see the results of their deconstruction of it all and how they decided to just let go...BUT...can we skip the process ourselves and realize our full potential?"

We must learn when to analyze and when to shoot. Of course we must investigate our techniques with an eye of efficiency; otherwise, how could we improve?

The point of accurate instruction is to guide, based on experience. (This implies a certain amount of trust in the "guider.&quot When I said to begin the reload immediately (upon calling the last shot), I said that because, after years of testing in practice, that is the most effective technique I’ve discovered. As for why it may not be working for you at this point in your training, it’s because, like Pat said, "As for reloading on the move, practice, practice, practice." (A "good" load, for me, occurs when the mag is seated before my first foot touches the ground as I’m leaving an area.) So as a guide, train to call all your shots without doubt, especially the last one before moving or reloading , and then immediately upon calling the last shot look right at the mag well until the new mag is seated. If you just keep it that simple and practice with that intention long enough, the load will begin to correspond with the movement of your visual attention.

Training implies that your body has yet to learn the physical movements required for consistent execution. The quickest way to educate your body-mind is to decisively DIRECT it with conscious intent, and then, ALLOW your body-mind to carry out your intent without the resistance produced by thinking or trying of any sort. Once your body-mind goes into action, this is usually best done by consciously, continuously, keeping your vision moving. That last sentence describes what I meant when I said – "when to shoot." Whether practicing or competing - when you’re shooting, just shoot. And then analyze when you’re not shooting.

be

He bites, and we'll chew on the answer for a while.

That's good stuff, as always.

"Whether practicing or competing - when you’re shooting, just shoot. And then analyze when you’re not shooting."

That might be one to stick in the range bag.

SA

I know, I hate golf analogies but golfers don't stand on the tee with 13 swing thoughts in their mind, they just hit the ball.  Only on the PRACTICE TEE do they give credence to the 13 swing thoughts they are working on.

Could be a parallel there.