Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDM9 WITH 14LB WOLFF SPRING?

G34 CORDY

hello everyone, i shoot my xdm 9mm in uspsa production. has anyone used a 14lb recoil spring? iam shooting 147 grain atlanta arms ammo very soft shooting. i have a 16lb spring but want to try a 14lb spring. anyone with this setup?

14# is too light, eventually you will have reliability issues. When the spring is too light the firing pin spring will push the slide out of "battery", when you pull the trigger all that will happen is the slide will close and it won't fire. Some think this is a light strike which it isn't. Doing a hard reload can bump the slide back, quick movements with the gun can also aid in moving the slide back. When you pull the slide back around an inch and let go the slide should snap back quickly if it moves sluggishly the spring is too weak.

Rich

thanks for the info. i heard of some people said they love the 14lb spring but who knows lol. i have one coming in the mail and i will try it out to see what happens. i have a 16lb spring in there right now. what would i have to do to get the 14lb spring to work or is it worth the hassle? thanks guys

I have 14# springs in both my XDM9 and XDM40. I run pretty light loads and needed the light spring to eject the brass.I run 147's in 9 and 180's in 40. Before it was barely clearing the slide. My 9 has been flawless in over 1000 rounds and my 40 has only had two FTF, when the round nosed downed in the mag. I marked the mag and will see if it happens again. Based on your advice Rich, I may try a 16# again. I hate to mess with it cause it aint broke!!!

I would stay clear of any 14lb spring in a 9mm or 40sw XDM, I even question the use of a 16# spring. I try to maintain my guns so they'll last 20,000 rounds. I have 2 Canyon Creek custom XDM's, even when running 130pf mouse breath ammo in my 9mm and 167pf in my XDM 40, I am still seeing significant pinch/bite marks on the flange of both my Stainless guide rod (in 9mm) and Tungsten guide rod (in my 40sw) and this is with 18# wolf XDM's springs! - I have smoothed both the spring wire end that contacts with the guide rod flange and polished the flange - but my frame lugs are still pounding the crap out of the guide rod flange on both guns. Go to 18# spring if you don't want something to break.

Jon

I would stay clear of any 14lb spring in a 9mm or 40sw XDM, I even question the use of a 16# spring. I try to maintain my guns so they'll last 20,000 rounds. I have 2 Canyon Creek custom XDM's, even when running 130pf mouse breath ammo in my 9mm and 167pf in my XDM 40, I am still seeing significant pinch/bite marks on the flange of both my Stainless guide rod (in 9mm) and Tungsten guide rod (in my 40sw) and this is with 18# wolf XDM's springs! - I have smoothed both the spring wire end that contacts with the guide rod flange and polished the flange - but my frame lugs are still pounding the crap out of the guide rod flange on both guns. Go to 18# spring if you don't want something to break.

Jon

Can you post a photo? I've got about 1200 rounds through my XDM 9 with a Wolff guide rod and 16lb spring and the guide rod still looks as if it's brand new. I won't use a 14lb spring (after about 20 rounds I could tell it was just too light and I can easily recreate the failure Rich mentions) but the 16 seems fine.

Edited by cyberiad

I will post pics, once back home. of course the tungsten has bigger bites in it as its softer, but the stainless fatty that Rich uses for his PD Ready, also has visible marring. I wonder, maybe I'll just get the Wolff's at RC55 for both.

Jon

I have never had a problem shooting light loads in my XDM 9mm. My 10yo son was having some problems though, so we tried the 14lb spring. Shooting 124gr FMJ's at about PF132 there have been no problems since. I think part of the problem was a sometimes weak grip when shooting longer strings, but so far no negatives notices with the lighter spring after about 1k rounds through it.