Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are you a thumb rest pusher?

Foxbat

I find that I tend to push on it, towards the target. Not sure what it does to my shooting, but seems to give me the sense of stability.

What are the opinions here? I know some just put the thumb gently over it...

I think I sort of push on it...maybe more that I don't give in to it when it pushes back on my thumb. That's what I think, but sometimes what we think, and what we're absolutely sure of, isn't necessarily the truth when it comes to shooting.

More than anything, I like that it gives me a consistent wrist angle. It may or may not be the optimum angle, but it's the same every time, and that's the most important thing to help keep your timing right. R,

I use the little platform that came with my Allchin mount. For me I use it just as described, as a rest. I mostly use it to insure my grip on the gun is in the same place every time. If I push on it at all I notice my gun torquing as I shoot it, putting my bullets out in right field on the targets.

Joe W.

The only pie slicin I ever do is either apple or pumpkin. LOL I know what you mean though, it really does look like a little slice of pie. Thankfully it isn't any bigger, just the right size for my grip style.

Joe W.

I don't think I push it, but maybe I've never thought about it before. Lately I've been working hard on my left hand grip for various reasons. My accuracy has improved. Is that because I've relaxed an unpercieved push of the left thumb or is it because my right hand is able to do it's job better? I don't know but it seems to be working.

its more of an index point for me, my thumb rests on it, with no pressure per say, but as the gun recoils, it does so into the thumb/rest, and helps control it??? i have shortthumbs so it was more of a gimmick that ended up stayin on the gun, thought ooooh cool, propped for table starts hehehe 2 things....1. w/ a big stick the damned thing topples ovr on its side thus defeating the idea, and 2. we havent had a table start since i putthe damned thing on!!!!!

I am glad this thread was started because I wondered how the thumb rest would affect someone who might push too hard (me?).

I made one and mounted it. When doing some practice draws and varying my grip pressure about as much I think I might during a stage I seen the dot move more than I would like, so I took it off. I do not know if the thumb rest would work for me or not, but it is helpful to hear other experiences.

There is a lot of confussion on this topic but if you understand the concept, most folks will be able to shoot MUCH faster with less dot movement.

First some definitions. Thumb Rest is the generic term. "*thumb rest [generic]*" is a trademarked name of a design very different than other "thumb rests".

About failures, In the approximately 15 year history of the genuine "*thumb rest [generic]*" there has NEVER been a failure.

The problem with most "thumb rests" is the position is wrong so you end up with the feeling of "pushing". (This introduces variabilities in grip which can lead to a host of problems). With the "*thumb rest [generic]*", used properly, if you try to push you will go faster and have less flip and recoil but it also automatically changes and enhances your grip to balance the non dominant hand grip.

There is an old adage that the grip of 1911 should be 60-40 with 60 percent of grip on non dominant hand so the trigger hand has finer and faster control. Although physiologically correct and a good mental picture, it is VERY difficult for most shooters to do this without a LOT of practice. With the real "Gas Peal", when you "push" you automatically grip harder so it is relatively easy to maintain even a MUCH stronger nondominant grip, 70 to 80 percent is easily obtainable.

To over simplify, if you push on a "thumb rest" you can achieve pretty good results but not optimal and you have to compensate for other variables. When you push on a "*thumb rest [generic]*" you go faster, and the "*thumb rest [generic]*" makes it easy to get a good grip. With a "*thumb rest [generic]*", Basically the harder you you "push" the better your grip and the faster you go.

Thank you Robert for an additional insight... perhaps I should have been more precise in the opening post. In my particular case the "rest" has a surface at about 45 degrees angle, so it looks somewhat similar to *thumb rest [generic]*. Which is different from some rests that look like horizontal bars or flat horizontal surfaces. Is that the distinction you are making too?

Robert,

What material are the gas pedals made of? Also, what allows you to conclusively say there has never been a failure in 15 years? If there's never been a failure you are aware of, I can dig that. But to say that there has absolutely never been a failure requires some data to back it up.

Can you link me what you would consider a *thumb rest [generic]* vs. what you would consider a thumb rest?

Robert,

What material are the gas pedals made of? Also, what allows you to conclusively say there has never been a failure in 15 years? If there's never been a failure you are aware of, I can dig that. But to say that there has absolutely never been a failure requires some data to back it up.

Can you link me what you would consider a *thumb rest [generic]* vs. what you would consider a thumb rest?

+1 You have some pics?? Also who are the shooters using the gas pedals??

Flyin

I have *thumb rest [generic]* on one of my guns, and I don't see how I could break it - it is a substantial cast part. The one that is bent is much more delicate in design.

Robert,

Jake is right I probably mispoke and should have said there has never been a "reported" failure with the original "*thumb rest [generic]*" which is billet made of Aircraft Aluminum.

I believe the following to me true but do not have data to back it up. There are approximately 4 manufacturers that made thumb rests/and or "Gas Pedals" sold in USA. Two copanies are overseas and are made of lighter gauge aluminum. To make matters more confusing, one of the foreign manufacturers previously mislabled their product as "*thumb rest [generic]*" probably unaware that it is a trademark name in USA. There have been failures reported with the foreign made thumbrests but none with the original American made "*thumb rest [generic]*". There is also an American Manufacturer that uses plastic but I have no information on if they failed or not.

With regard to posting a link, I believe that would cross the line into the "promotion" area that is not allowed on forums. I believe the topic is whether or not to "push" on the thumbrest. My opinion with regard to that is basically with the orginal "*thumb rest [generic]*" that is not an issue because of the way it is designed, it automatically translates thumb pressure into grip strength. With other designs, they are designed to "rest" the thumb and then what kind of pressure you use becomes an issue which the individual shooter will deal with.

I would hope that shooters with more trigger time with a non "*thumb rest [generic]*" thumrests would share their experience and opinions on how best to utilize the thumbrest.

Edited by Aloha Robert

Just post up some pics. Unless you sell the part you can post up a link. I always thought a thumbrest and *thumb rest [generic]* where the same. I can see where pushing out with the thumb can allow you to apply more pressure in your weak hand and make it feel like the grip is better. It also creates quite a bit of tension in the hand when doing it while I was just trying it. Last couple of yrs I found I like recoil control to come from a solid grip vs a forced grip if that makes any sense. The more I try to control recoil the more the gun goes everywhere. When I force it or put tension in my hand the gun doesn't track back to the same spot which is a must have for me.

Jake,

Do you feel any tension in your weak hand around your thumb and wrist when using it?? How does the dot track compared to no *thumb rest [generic]*.

Flyin

Edited by Flyin40

John,

Pretty sure he actually does sell them and he's done a good job following the rules in this thread.

It's honestly been a pretty long time since I fired a gun with a *thumb rest [generic]* (probably getting close to 5 years now) so I really don't remember well enough to give you a good answer. I do plan on putting one on my next blaster, I'll be able to answer your question better then.