Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

bullets

Going to order my first bullets for reloading. Looking at Zero FMJ 147 or MG 147. The zeros seem to be cheaper what do you guys think.

The price you see for Zeros doesn't include shipping in most cases. The MG price includes shipping. Lately you almost always have to wait weeks or months to get Zeros. The last time I ordered MGs, I place it early Friday morning and they were on my door Monday afternoon! R,

Zero's are usually avail from Shooter's Connection, their prices include shipping, and you wont believe how quickly they arrive...every order I have ever made from them got here in 2 days (well except for my Bedell). :cheers:

But is one better than the other?

There are some differences. I shoot 125gr JHP's mostly (open) the MTG is smaller in diameter and the jacket is harder than the zero. I prefer the Zero but when I can't get it I use MTG. It takes .1 or .2 grain more powder to make the same velocity with the MTG. I rate both as top of the line.

In the 147gr 9 mm also look at Precision delta, the have a jacketed version.

MTG and Precison Delta support the sport I have won several of their cerfificates, never won a Zero cert.

If you go with the Zero try ordering from Roze Dist. May take a couple weeks but they seem to get them even when Zero doesn't have them. Shipping is free.

FWIW

Richard

Roze is Zero....same company. My last order (half of it anyway) took three or fourth months to get....147gr FMJs...not exactly an exotic order. The 135gr FMJs still haven't arrived and they said they had no idea when they'd do a run of them.

Zero's are usually avail from Shooter's Connection, their prices include shipping, and you wont believe how quickly they arrive...every order I have ever made from them got here in 2 days (well except for my Bedell). :cheers:

Yeah, you probably haven't tried ordering any in at least a couple of months right? Chuck doesn't have any Zero bullets in stock according to the website....regardless of size/weight. I've been checking the 9/38S bullets for a couple of months and he hasn't had any. R,

That is where I got them.

Just realize that if you like them, there's a very good chance (like 95%) that you won't be able to get the version you need next time without waiting a couple of months. They just did a run of 147 FMJs (talked with the folks at the factory) so they're available now. They'll then switch to another version/weight and those will be available for a while. I ordered some of the 147 FMJs in Dec and got them a month or so ago. I picked them because my gun loves their 147gr JHPs (not available). I would have bought a couple of cases of the 147gr JHPs, but those haven't been available through any source in months and months (I think they're all going to Atlanta Arms). Unfortunately, my gun hates their 147gr FMJs....patterns of 10-12" at 25yds on multiple days. On the same day/time I can get sub-2" groups with the 147gr JHPs. Why, I have no idea, but it's absolutely the way it is. In contrast, that gun shoots MG 147gr CMJ's into 2" or less as well. Since you can always order whatever MG bullet you want and get it in a couple of days I settled on the MG 147 CMJs....good accuracy and I know I can always get them.

For whatever reason, that gun didn't particularly like MG 130gr FMJs (like 3-4" groups) but it did like Zero 125gr JHPs (like 2" groups), so it's clearly not by manufacturer since it shot bullets from both companies well. :blink:

I'm pushing MG bullets to 1500fps in my Open guns and getting 1" or so at 25yds, so I know they hold up. I haven't put anything but a wet patch through my newest Open gun's barrel in 11K rounds (keeping an exact log) and the accuracy hasn't changed...virtually no fouling.

I guess the moral of all that is that if your gun seems to like the Zeros and they're still available when you figure that out, you should buy at least six months worth of supply, and a year would be better. If not, you'll be looking for a new bullet when it's time to buy more. I waited more than six months to get the 147gr JHPs....still waiting. :(

Yeah, you probably haven't tried ordering any in at least a couple of months right? Chuck doesn't have any Zero bullets in stock according to the website....regardless of size/weight. I've been checking the 9/38S bullets for a couple of months and he hasn't had any. R,

I too have been checking Shooter's Connection periodically for 125 Zero JHP's, as well as Angus' website at CZ Custom. About two weeks ago, Chuck did have 125 Zero JHP's (9mm) in stock and I purchased 4000 to add to the stock I already have on hand. The website did indicate low stock at the time of my purchase, so they may be gone by now. The bullets arrived in a couple of days via flat rate shipping - from Kentucky to Oregon. My open guns really like the 125 Zero's, but I have also experimented with MG 121 IFP's with equally good results.

I too have been checking Shooter's Connection periodically for 125 Zero JHP's, as well as Angus' website at CZ Custom. About two weeks ago, Chuck did have 125 Zero JHP's (9mm) in stock and I purchased 4000 to add to the stock I already have on hand. The website did indicate low stock at the time of my purchase, so they may be gone by now. The bullets arrived in a couple of days via flat rate shipping - from Kentucky to Oregon. My open guns really like the 125 Zero's, but I have also experimented with MG 121 IFP's with equally good results.

You definitely got lucky on the timing! I've checked his site at least once or twice a week and haven't seen anything in months. They were definitely gone when I checked before posting that reply. My point was that they haven't been "usually available" from Chuck, or anybody else, for quite some time. They picked up a couple of contracts with big name ammo companies and that's when their availability seemed to change. Don't get me wrong, I like their bullets (first used them in something like 1998) and have a big stash of them for .40, but trying to get them in anything has been a hassle for a year or more now. R,

what does anybody feel about berrysbullets they seem pretty good on what i read

Horrible and typically as expensive as jacketed...you can normally buy Montana Gold or Precision Detla FMJs or JHPs for the same prices as Berry's and not have to deal with their problems. Some guns won't shoot plated, no matter what you do and the only way to know is to spend money trying them. Do a search and you'll find pages and pages on the (and other plated)....a very few people like them, but I don't see why anybody would pay the same, or more, for them than jacketed. R,