Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

where do you start.....

fastarget

I am planning on shooting my first match the second weekend of june. I have been participating in IDPA matches, and am ready for an additional source of trigger time. The local clubs have the events on different saturdays so that makes it possible.

So I have most of the equipment including an older custom edge with no lightening, and I do reloading. Where do I start? The plan is to try Limited, but what is the best advice, get my feet wet in minor? or just jump into major, I have read the rules and know the disadvantages of shooting minor, but where is best for a newbie to start? It would be nice to develop one load and stick with it, but I am open minded and flexible.

The only possible advantage to shooting minor in Limited is the extra capacity of a 9mm on a stage where it would save you a reload. If you're are already shooting a 40 you might as well shoot major.

That being said, I wouldn't let it keep me from shooting a match if I didn't have time to develop a major load before hand.

I am working out a load for major, getting close........Hope do get down to the free state of AZ for some shooting classes someday.......

http://www.robleatham.com/Rob%20Leatham%20training.htm#Competition_Training

The fall classes are still available. Keep in mind the instructor is getting a little feeble. He can't hear and is turd slow but you'll probably get something out of. :devil:

I am working out a load for major, getting close........Hope do get down to the free state of AZ for some shooting classes someday.......

http://www.robleatham.com/Rob%20Leatham%20training.htm#Competition_Training

The fall classes are still available. Keep in mind the instructor is getting a little feeble. He can't hear and is turd slow but you'll probably get something out of. :devil:

yup, received an email from his lovely wife I believe, direct flight from here. I am glad he is finally slowing down enough so us mortals can see him :surprise:

fastarget> What USPSA matches are you planning on going to? If you are coming over to the eastern side of the mountains let me know. I go to just about all of the USPSA matches all across the Colorado front range. If you need some help or guidance during your match let me know and I will do what I can.

Fabulous, thank you for the offer, I will take you up on it. The first match I am planning to attend will be in the Montrose area in June. It is only an hour and half from where I live, and the club is small enough to go and get acclamted wihtout being overwhelmed. I want to make it a positive start.

Whatever you start with, try to find some shooters a little more experienced than you are right now, (this forum is the place to do it), and ask the questions and learn from them, good luck and have fun

I know you are not stupid. And I get that you shoot IDPA. But I have to throw this out there. Tell the RO LOUDLY if need be, that you are a first timer. Then don't do anything until he tells you. I say this because a brand new shooter showed up at our match last weekend. From what I understand when he went to a stage requiring a table start he just pulled the old gun out and layed it on the table, then waited for the RO's commands. It's the little things. HAVE FUN!! :cheers:

PS: Shoot Major.

Edited by Sarge

Here is our club's mini-course for those new to USPSA:

http://orpci.org/content/ipsc_intro.htm

I am planning on shooting my first match the second weekend of june. I have been participating in IDPA matches, and am ready for an additional source of trigger time. The local clubs have the events on different saturdays so that makes it possible.

So I have most of the equipment including an older custom edge with no lightening, and I do reloading. Where do I start? The plan is to try Limited, but what is the best advice, get my feet wet in minor? or just jump into major, I have read the rules and know the disadvantages of shooting minor, but where is best for a newbie to start? It would be nice to develop one load and stick with it, but I am open minded and flexible.

I know you are not stupid. And I get that you shoot IDPA. But I have to throw this out there. Tell the RO LOUDLY if need be, that you are a first timer. Then don't do anything until he tells you. I say this because a brand new shooter showed up at our match last weekend. From what I understand when he went to a stage requiring a table start he just pulled the old gun out and layed it on the table, then waited for the RO's commands. It's the little things. HAVE FUN!! :cheers:

PS: Shoot Major.

Do not worry, I am a new shooter and I need all the help I can get........it is just another game, and I would like to make a good first impression and feel welcomed next time around. Major it is.

Thank you for the mini course, most helpful thanks.