Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

11-87 Turkey gun

caz41

Looking to replace my pump for SA for 3 gun. I only shoot about 6-8 3 gun matches a year, so I don't know that I want to drop over a grand on a M2 (even though I know that would be the best route). I have a buddy who is selling a 11-87 turkey gun 24" non ported barrel, etc for a pretty good price. Would slapping a ext. tube on it make a feasible 3 gun shotty?

They work. You may want to add a feed ramp, a tube and a larger bolt handle. Also get a supply of O-rings and a spare gas ring set. Many of s have drilled the ports out in the barrels so that lighter loads will function the gun, that works, but it will beat things up a bit if you run any full power loads.

I have broken a couple gas rings in the about 8 years I've had this gun, I've also shot a crap load of ammo through it, not all light stuff.

Jim

Yes, that would work just fine. I've run an 11-87 for 15 years and it has rarely let me down. So long as you keep it clean and lightly lubed, feed it good ammo, and keep an eye on known-weak parts, it will probably serve you the rest of your natural life :D . If you need any tips, or if you have to troubleshoot the gun at any time, feel free to shoot me a PM.

As the gun you plan to buy is starting out as a hunting gun, the mag tube will likely have dimples that will have to be Dremeled out (no biggie) before you install the mag extension tube. Another must-have modification is a bigger carrier release button - the best option (but a PITA to install) is a DMW EZ Loader, with a less satisfactory (but easier to install) alternative being a factory carrier from a Remington 1100 Competition Master (they are available as a spare from Midway or Brownells). Lastly, consider a 10+1 magazine extension tube rather than just the bare-minimum 8+1... this will give you an edge in IPSC and outlaw matches where you are allowed to stuff as many rounds into the gun as you like after the beep. This mag tube would also fit way better under your 24" barrel.

You don't mention the price being asked for your friend's 11-87. If you are on a tight budget, you can shop around and find them pretty cheap. My last 11-87 was in almost as-new condition and cost me under $400 from Gunbroker.

Here is a photo of how my 11-87 is set up... it has the Choate 10+1 magazine extension under a 21" barrel:

3-GunShotgun.jpg

If it is a 11-87 super mag. 3 1/2 turkey gun it will not make a good 3-Gun gun. Remington does not recommend shooting 2 3/4 shells in the 3 1/2 guns. The barrel is ported for the big shells and works great with 3 and 3 1/2 shells. If it is a 3 inch gun it will work great.

i have one of these that I bought used for next to nothing. I cleaned it up and added a mag tube and it runs well. I use 100 round boxes of field and target ammo from walmart and have never had an issue, not a single jam ever. I did try to use the stock carrier release button, and it sucked to say the least. My gunsmith has it now and is installing an ez loader. If you are trying to go fast, the stock carrier release will seriously hold you back.

Not sure how it would run with really light target loads. Recoil is light with the field and target loads that I shoot, and would not consider recoil to be an issue with this gun.

I also found a used Benelli M1 at a gun shop that I looked at. Pistol grip and mag tube. Which do you think would be more reliable for running all types of ammo (or should I say most types). My biggest concern for matches is the gun running and running w/o issues. Which would be better?

I use an 11-87. It works great.

If you are getting a good deal, run with it. Shoot the hell out of it: learn what it likes / hates, etc... Mine loves the Federal bulk packs from Walmart, but occasionally hiccups on the Winchester bulk packs... Also, my ports were drilled out, and my shotty HATES full power slugs. It goes full on single shot... But hey, that what the managed recoil slugs are for. :cheers:

I also like the recoil on it much better than the Benelli... More controllable.

If it is a 11-87 super mag. 3 1/2 turkey gun it will not make a good 3-Gun gun. Remington does not recommend shooting 2 3/4 shells in the 3 1/2 guns. The barrel is ported for the big shells and works great with 3 and 3 1/2 shells. If it is a 3 inch gun it will work great.

This is why people drill the gas holes to larger diameter....to get 2.75" shells to work....and work well.