Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting lied to and screwed by your own gunsmith !

Frank Einstein

Dropped off my 1911 TRP to a gunsmith I have been going to for years, never had a problem. Needed the sights changed and zeroed. Left 10 rounds of the ammo I use to compete with.

Picked up the gun today, but no target was given back to me (" uhh I threw it out"). Hmmm that didn't happen the last time I had sights placed here. Asked if there were any problems, how did it go? ("You might have a different POA then me, you will have to shoot it and see"). All excited I get my TRP home and realize - It hasn't been shot. It is super clean, smells cinnamon-sweet from weaponshield, just how I left it with them :(

I get the guy who did it on the phone, who admits that he bore sighted it. Get the owner on the phone, who states that they always fire rounds through the gun after adjusting sights and they must have cleaned it (another lie trying to cover for the first guy, since he didn't realize the first guy already owned up to the bore sighting).

After Stammering my way through a rant about how long I had been going there, how you just when you think you have a gunsmith you can trust, blah blah blah, its the end of the world, blah blah. Finally the owner states he will make it right, Tells me to bring it back and he will personally zero it while I am standing there with him.

Now my hands are shaking, my ass is puckered up tighter then a snare drum, and I am pacing the room muttering obscenities. If I did something like that in my business I could go to jail... Where the hell did everyone's self-respect go?

The world is full of people who don't hold up their end of the bargain.

I once had a Toyota mechanic give me a box of oil filters for my new truck. He said all the mechanics have a stash. They collect them by not changing peoples filters when they pay for oil changes. :surprise:

Exactly why, if there is any way I can do something myself, I do it. I don't trust anybody!

If your smith did this once, he'll do it again. Get another gunsmith.

After Stammering my way through a rant about how long I had been going there, how you just when you think you have a gunsmith you can trust, blah blah blah, its the end of the world, blah blah. Finally the owner states he will make it right, Tells me to bring it back and he will personally zero it while I am standing there with him.

Making it right would also involve tearing the guy who didn't do it a new one and refunding your money. Even then I'd probably take my business elsewhere.

I change my own oil for that very reason. I mark my filters when they go on the vehicle. I had to take it in to get the oil changed once based on weather and having to where to do it indoors at the time. They would do the oil change with my oil and my filter. I ended up having my old filter left on the car and they started filling the car with the gun not the oil they were given. Needless to say they got to redo it and I will never have it done by someone again no matter what the weather. I have run the mobil 1 extended with a mobil 1 filter since I got the car since I run the car a ton and an would be changing it about every 2 weeks maby 3 if i pushed it with conventional oil. Not only did they lie but If it would have run it like i do synthetic it would have been pretty bad for the car