Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Powder Spilling

I am loading a caliber/load that fills the case 90% with powder and, since the powder measure is in the "stock" location (right after the priming station), the cases full of powder are "indexed" twice before I seat the projectile and seal the case.

I considered moving the powder measure to the powder check position and reduce the travel be one movement, or relocate the seat die to the powder check location and accomplish the same thing. I tried moving the seat die and it was not comfortable reaching around the toolhead to place the bullet and would also never allow me the chance to visually inspect the powder before seating the projectile.

If I relocate the powder measure I may have to fabricate a new "return rod" for the powder measure.

What are other doing to reduce the amount of powder shaking out of the cases during these 2 movements? I am currently returning the lever more slowly but feel I could get more production if I could find a better solution.

Thanks,

Leo

Leo,

This tends to be a problem, on the first case that gets worked around the turret. I have a solution and you don't have to relocate anything.

On the first case, when it indexes from the powder measure to station 5, cover the case with your finger (you're not placing a bullet, so your hand is free). Pull the handle, case # 1, indexes to station # 6. As the case leaves station 5 and goes to station 6 (seating) place the bullet, while it rotates and guide it to station 6. Guiding the shellplate via grasping the bullet and case to station 6, will slow up the "jerk" that happens when you release the handle quickly.

This will slow down the cases coming around too. Now, that's what I do, and it could be construde as slow. However, having loaded a 1000 rounds last week in just under 40 minutes (including loading primer tubes), I think it's fast enough.

If you look at other sections of this forum, you will read about other modifications and techniques that others have found to work. Take a look at them, and see might work best for you.

Smooth and consistent are the keys to reloading; not hard and fast.

Rich

Gorilla,

I searched around and found the thread that you posted but it relates to the new Super 1050 and not the "slothy old 1050" which is what I have.

I am sure I will get better with it and it is considerably faster than my old press but I always want more speed!

Thanks guys,

Leo

I think Dillon designed the machine wrong. I would have made it to index first, then push up the shell plate. That way it would index the empty case. I would have also rotated everything so that the bullet station was at 9:00 o'clock or even 7:00 o'clock position.

When I load 38super on my 1050, I move the powder drop to the "powder check" location. If I don't I get powder everywhere but in the case.

There is no need to fabricate a new return rod. Just angle the powder drop directly towards where the return rod connects to the press, and remove some of the tension on the return rod by loosening adjustment nut. Also, changing the angle slightly where the return rod connects to the press helps.

David,

I just moved the powder measure to the powder check position and I can place the projectile into the case before the shell plate even starts to rotate. I loaded 100 rds with NO powder lost.

Thanks guys,

Leo