Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left-Hand REVOLVER SPEED HOLSTER

TnBaadBoy

Good Morning!

I'm appealing to the 10% crowd (lefties) for opinions and suggestions for acquiring a 'flexible' revolver SPEED holster.

Participated in 2 ICORE matches. One limited, the other in "Retro". Both shot from IDPA holsters by Blade-Tech, straight draw kydex.

Now? In need of a better 'game' holster, more suitable for both ICORE and USPSA, for 3 pieces of hardware:

S&W #610 3.75"

S&W #686 4.0"

S&W #627 5.0" with tapered underlug

I've looked at the gamut of offerings. Safariland Cup; CR Speed; Ghost; and even the new Blade-tech 'racing gear' holster introduced at SHOT show (Front Sight Magazine, May/June,Page #8)

Expense aside, the object is to attempt to secure a single holster to service all the hardware for BOTH shooting disciplines (ICORE and USPSA).

Acquired a CR Speed holster, on the advice of a trusted friend who is RIGHT-HANDED. The advertising 'claims' to permit conversion to left-handed opertion. But after reading the instructions it is NOT an 'easy' venture. Disappointingly, it requires drilling and virtually re-building the whole piece, and then...the locking controls will still be awkward, and NOT ergonomic for a leftie.

The Ghost holster does NOT offer a 'stock' Left-handed model, although I called Angus yesterday and he claims there 'MAY' be a chance to have the folks in Italy make one, for an 'estimated' $30 more, or so.

Blade-Tech's new offering MAY or may NOT be in production, and then MAY or may NOT be offered to us 'lefties'. The customer serivce folks there had absolutely NO information on this holster as of yesterday, and I have NOT had a return call-back from the 'production manager' there as of yet. From the picture, it appears to be a 'limitedly' adjustable rake, kydex body, attached to their standard belt or paddle mount.

The 20-year-old offering from Safariland (Cup Challenge) IS available and is about 30% the cost of the other higher-tech late-comers. The 4-inch model SHOULD permit me to use it with all 3 firearms with the 5" barrel extending slightly thru the open end. Admittedly, it offers NO options or adjustments for changing ANY angle or heights.

I solicit your kind direction and exchange. Thank you all!

Ahem. New avatar for Cliff:

4563865864_e073fed096_m.jpg

Anyway, why not just get a DOH rig for your current holster? I was no faster out of a speed holster with my Glock than out of my DOH, and I'm purty fast with my revo DOH as well.

H.

Edited by Houngan

I would learn to shoot right handed. Other than Tom Mainus and Phil Griggs, no left handed revo shooter has amounted to much.

How true it is Cliff ;)

I shoot the CR Speed. I also have the speed sec but do no like it as much as

CR Speed. It is not that hard to convert to left handed. Just drill through

the holes to the other side. Yes the lock is on the inside now, but to me it is

safer that way. No chance of it ever getting bumped to unlocked. You don't have

to "rebuild the whole piece". You are not going to find any holster that is

ergonomic for a left handed revolver shooter. The market is to small. You make

the best with what you can get. Carmoney was running a bladetech for a while

for big matches. You don't loose any time with that type of holster. You can

get a more agressive draw, because you don't have to worry about knocking the

gun out of the holster. PM me if you need help with the CR.

Tom

• 5 months later...

The safariland 002 cup holster is made in left hand I believe. It's not elaborate but it works very well and doesn't require more than an inch upward movement before your clear to level the gun. Its a nice holster and wont break the bank. It's what I use, though Im a righty I thought Id throw this option out there.

I'm left handed but switched to shooting right handed.

Perhaps that's why I'm stuck as a C class shooter.

If you've got 40 years to relearn everything make the switch.

If not stick with left hand shooting.

I have a safariland 002 cup holster the right hand version.

It's low cost and easily modified (tuned).

My first shot is 1.4 to 1.7 seconds. I'm not pressing for speed here.

I believe getting a grip is much more important.

Stuck in 'C'

George

Edited by GMM50

Good Morning,

I use a CR Speed holster. As was mentioned before, I had to drill through the plastic and move the rod clamp to the right side of the holster. That was the extent of the changes. I do not mind the lock being between the holster and my belt.

I use the holster for ICORE and USPSA and I have adjusted it for a 625/4"/5", 646/4", 686/6", 627/4"/5"/6". It is important to ensure that the holster holds the gun with no slop. You may have to change shims when changing gun frame sizes. Be prepared to get creative with the muzzle base riser when using the short barreled 610.

I also have the Safariland holster in L frame. It is a fine holster once you are used to the movement required to draw. I do not know how the N frame holster would hold a L frame, but my L frame holster worked well with a 6 shot 686, but started to remove the holster lining with a 7 shot 686. Because of this, I do not think that the L frame holster will work well with a N frame.

There is one other option. You can get a Hogue Power Speed holster. It is for right or left hand and has a bulletproof but lightning fast lock. It is adjustable for cant. I make a revolver adapter for those that fits any Smith revo from 4" to 8-3/8". It takes a few seconds to adjust to a different length barrel with no tools. PM me for more details.