Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tungsten mainspring housing?

CAB33

There are tungsten guide rod plugs, and guide rods, and I believe there is even a tungsten magwell, although that sounds rather expensive, so I kinda doubt it.

If you are trying for extra weight in the grip to change the balance , the tungsten magwell would be the way to go.

If you are trying for extra weight in the grip to change the balance , the tungsten magwell would be the way to go.

Grams used to make some. They were pretty pricey 8 or so years ago, probably be scary expensive today.

Grams used to make some. They were pretty pricey 8 or so years ago, probably be scary expensive today.

There is one listed in USPSA classified right now for STI 9 oz at $175

For an STI, the heaviest MSH is probably the stainless steel Wedge by Alan Zitta [from Dawson Precision]. It points the gun up about 2x what adding a curved MSH would do, that's why I use it. The weight is noticeable but still not enough to make an open gun feel balanced with a standard Ice magwell.

You might look at the Heavy Ice magwell or the stainless STI magwell as mentioned. See which one weighs more.

Or try to make benos an offer he can't refuse for one of his tungsten magwells.

This is what I did to add weight to be grip of my STI (pic courtesy of Patrick Kelly). Cape magwell + a stainless-steel MS housing.

cape2.jpg

This is the stainless-steel version that I was very lucky to find. The company is only currently making the aluminum version. If they would start up a run of this version of their magwell, I would get 2 of them right off the bat.

There are a lot of people that do not like a "grip heavy" gun, saying that it is slow out of the holster and between target transitions. Yes, I would agree if you are a steel challenge shooter. But I have found that guns that are weight-biased at the bottom of the grip have a tames recoil and has improved my shooting.