Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Of You Try Smithing Classes?

JimmyZip

I was checking on thes schools that you do over a short period of time where you bring your pistol, and parts, and pay a fee to learn it with a class. They have one within driving distance a few times a year. You bring in your 1911 parts, and get to build your own gun with a teacher showing you how. Seemed like a cool thing to do but wonder if you really get a good pistol out of it. We have a mill at one of the places I work at, and I have the ability to do whatever I really want on it. Just wondering if the class might be a good way to get experience and guidance before I start grinding, cutting, and milling on a gun. I don't mind working on machines at work, but they are not as precise as the pistols we shoot.

Very curious! JZ

I took a class at Trinidad State Junior College (Colorado) about 15 years ago. The instructor was Jim Stroh who just happened to be the American Pistolsmith Guild smith of the year. I didn't know squat about 1911's and learned a lot. You won't come out knowing everything but you will learn the basics and you go on from there. After the class you can ask questions here and understand the why's and wherefore's of the answers you will get here then you hone your abilities as you go. You will handicap yourself if you do not have a good working knowledge of the 1911/2011 platform before you attend the class. You will probably have to bring your own hand tools (files, stones, calipers, micrometer, specialty tools and jigs) but you will need to get them at some time. See if you can contact the instructor ahead of time for info regarding tools and such.

I took another class several years ago on the AR-15. Turned out that the instructor was Derrick Martin from Accuracy Speaks in Mesa, AZ. Great class also.

If you are wanting to learn the skills a class is a great start. Go fur it! :cheers:

CYa,

Pat

I attended one at a High School in Southern California I didn't get a world class gunsmith but it was fun and informative. You brought in whatever firearm you had that needed some attention and the instructor walk you through the tuff stuff. I don't think it would fly in today's Kalifornia a bunch of people under the dark of night weapons in hand converging on a High School shop class.

Tim

;)

Ive listened to a lot of pistols smiths over the years and if I hear something Im

not sure of I use the Kuhnhausen book as a check and see, I used to have a Marine Corps/

Navy 1911 type manual, but it finally fell apart, Id sure like to find another

one :bow: .

I started working on guns with my granfather when I was around 10 years old, Granpa

was the county fixer upper and had quite a following with the hunters.Im 66 years old

now,learned the 1911 from a Warrent Officer gunner during my career in the Military

and from him and Grandpa, I learned to allways have some sort of referance (Just to Check)on

fixes some folks think are the only way. (1911 (As you all know) have been around a

long time and some misinformation has been injected in the smithing of these guns as

others. Im not trying to say I know it all/far from it; but I allways check manuals etc; that are

known correct. So what ever you learn allways have some back up authenicated information,

just to keep yas out of creating problems for yourself or others. ;):D

Jim/Pa

Sailors :devil:

Cylinder and Slide does classes as do several other pistolsmiths. You could also look into the NRA summer classes. jjanglin is right, there's plenty of misinformation out there, I'm a hands on person and if I wanted to learn I'd spend the bucks to do a hands-on school.

American Gunsmith Institute (AGI) has some good DVD's on pistols and rifles. I especially liked the 1911 3 DVD set and the Rock Your Glock DVD. Once you get on their mailing list you are there forever, even if you don't order anything.

The instruction was good though.