Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revo in 357 Sig

blackflyguy

Has anyone tried to do this? If so what was the outcome. Was there a clear advantage. I have never herd of it being done. Some of us at the match, last weekend were talking about it, thought it might be a great gun. But can you load it to make major? Is the neck to short to hold larger bullets. Reloads must be super fast. Wada ya think??

Speer gold dot .357 I carry contains 8.5 g of whatever powder with a 124 g bullet. When I chronoed them I was getting 1349fps. That gives a pf of 167. And there is still room in the case for more powder.

I am not a real fan of a bottleneck cartridge for a revo in a competition set up. It will give you a ledge in the cylinder for fouling to accumalate and will not allow the round to fit well. Not to mention the stretching that a bottleneck will cause. But as an ocassional shooter may not be bad. Just my opinion, not quite worth what you pay for it. later rdd

Bubber's right. Bottleneck cartridges are always a problem in revolvers because they can set back against the recoil shield too easily if they don't expand fast enough to hold themselves in place on the chamber walls.

Take a look at the Smith & Wesson Forum and look up the Model 53 in .22 Jet. A bottle of acetone was an important part of the gun's kit, to keep the chamber walls absolutely clear of lubricant.

(Doesn't mean I don't want one!)

Plus, do you see lots of guys reloading .357 Sig? No, because it's a pain.

The easier answer if you want rimless is 10mm or .40 S&W calibers in 610s and 646s.

+1 for the .40 S&W, 10mm. I do not know a single person reloading for the .357 Sig. Much less muzle blast with the 40 and 10 than the Sig, and brass is much easer to get for the 40. I make major in the 610 even down loaded without any problems.

+1 for the .40 S&W, 10mm. I do not know a single person reloading for the .357 Sig. Much less muzle blast with the 40 and 10 than the Sig, and brass is much easer to get for the 40. I make major in the 610 even down loaded without any problems.

I reload 357SIG and would never consider even trying it in a revolver. Some things just don't make sense. It has a completely different recoil and muzzle flash than any other caliber I shoot. In IDPA it really wakes up the SOs that have never heard an open gun :devil:

It is a great cartridge and I use it in Production and IDPA.

• 2 years later...

[Moderator Note: ...since Larry did the search work, I went ahead and merged the two topics.] - Admin.

Before everyone calls me crazy, and many have, hear me out. I have an old 6" S&W 28 in .357 Mag. The gun is not in real good shape, so it's just another revo. The external dimenssions of the cylinder are the same as my S&W 57 in .41 Mag, at average 1.710". Seems to be about .095" of meat left on the cylinders on the .41 mag, and about .115" on the ,357, so it should be able to be reamed out some??? Both guns are "N" frames, so strength should not be an issue?? I was thinking if the Model 28's cylinder was reamed to .357 Sig, the reloads would be way fast, hitting a .40 cal hole with a .38 cal bullet, moonclipped of course. The barrle is .357, and I know the Sig uses .355 bullets, but would not a .357 expander on the size die take care of that?? Looking at .357 Sig load data, we could make Major easy, and minor would feel like a cap gun in a 6" "N" frame. I know there are many on this forum that do custom revo work and was wondering if you would please give your opinions. Thanks, call me crazy, or maybe it might work, interested in any feedback, be SAFE and have FUN

Edited by Flexmoney

Before everyone calls me crazy, and many have, hear me out. I have an old 6" S&W 28 in .357 Mag. The gun is not in real good shape, so it's just another revo. The external dimenssions of the cylinder are the same as my S&W 57 in .41 Mag, at average 1.710". Seems to be about .095" of meat left on the cylinders on the .41 mag, and about .115" on the ,357, so it should be able to be reamed out some??? Both guns are "N" frames, so strength should not be an issue?? I was thinking if the Model 28's cylinder was reamed to .357 Sig, the reloads would be way fast, hitting a .40 cal hole with a .38 cal bullet, moonclipped of course. The barrle is .357, and I know the Sig uses .355 bullets, but would not a .357 expander on the size die take care of that?? Looking at .357 Sig load data, we could make Major easy, and minor would feel like a cap gun in a 6" "N" frame. I know there are many on this forum that do custom revo work and was wondering if you would please give your opinions. Thanks, call me crazy, or maybe it might work, interested in any feedback, be SAFE and have FUN

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105155&st=0&p=1196219&hl=bottleneck&fromsearch=1entry1196219

That came from a search for the word bottleneck.

-ld

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105155&st=0&p=1196219&hl=bottleneck&fromsearch=1entry1196219

That came from a search for the word bottleneck.

-ld

Thanks for that, I never thought to search for bottleneck, Appreciate it. This is THE BEST forum out there for finding good advice

John Z-

I've been going to try that for a long time, but just never got around to it. If you want to send me the cylinder, a .357 Sig Chamber reamer, brass and moon clips I'll do the conversion for free just to see if it works. It will have to be after Sept. though as I'll be in Germany

shooting the Bianchi World Cup.

John Z-

I've been going to try that for a long time, but just never got around to it. If you want to send me the cylinder, a .357 Sig Chamber reamer, brass and moon clips I'll do the conversion for free just to see if it works. It will have to be after Sept. though as I'll be in Germany

And I will supply a box of brass. I will need a couple moon clips that I will return so I can sort by head stamp. Will supply 5# to get you started (I do brass by the pound because I am too lazy to count)

John Z-

What a great offer ToolGuy!!!! I most certainly will send it to you. I will ask around and see the best place for a reamer, I'm guessing Brownell's and will get it out to you. One thing I love about the shooting community is the people, revo shooters are even a step above that!!! We can share addresses via PM's. The least I can offer in return is a LifeTime ZSA membership and an open invite to shoot with us anytime, thanks very much, John

Hi John-

Thanks for the good luck wishes!

I forgot to mention - on the reamer, get a Pacific Tool or Manson one. Don't get Clymer- they don't cut very well because the back clearance is not done correctly. Brownell's has Clymer and Manson.

Edited by Toolguy

Hi John-

Thanks for the good luck wishes!

I forgot to mention - on the reamer, get a Pacific Tool or Manson one. Don't get Clymer- they don't cut very well because the back clearance is not done correctly. Brownell's has Clymer and Manson.

Thanks for the info, I looked up those companies already. Hopefully we have good turnouts at the 2 ZSA matches this weekend so I have a few $$$ to get the reamer. Who else id shootin The Cup with you? Is Cliff or Jerry going?

My GF, Tracy is on the USA women's team. She is awesome! She has a Master's degree in mechanical engineering and does all my CAD drawings in her spare time. She speaks English, French and Spanish. We're going to shoot the match the 1st week and see what little of Europe we can see the 2nd week.

I don't have the list of who else is going, I don't think Jerry or Cliff will be there, but not sure.

My GF, Tracy is on the USA women's team. She is awesome! She has a Master's degree in mechanical engineering and does all my CAD drawings in her spare time. She speaks English, French and Spanish. We're going to shoot the match the 1st week and see what little of Europe we can see the 2nd week.

I don't have the list of who else is going, I don't think Jerry or Cliff will be there, but not sure.

Safe trip, have fun

Bottleneck cartridges and revolvers do not mix. The low pressure 38-40 and 44-40 had a small botlleneck and functioned is Colt SAA type revolvers where you puinched out the individual fired cases individually. S&W's 22 Jet cartridge was a bottleneck of sorts and it has some issues with respect to reliable functioning in revolvers.

John,

I am sure I did not need to see this thread to call you "crazy", but wasn't the 38 caliber Major Power revolver challenge addressed before the Hindenberg exploded? Will 357 Mag, 38 Special 38 Short and Long Colts not fit in your 28 now?

Have you ever heard of a Bain and Davis 357/44? 44 caliber charge holes are even bigger than 10 mm ones.....

Craig

Edited by Bones

The B&D will make major and be louder that any Open gun, even without a comp.

Mine is a single shot... but a friend has one in a 28 and she barks. You can also look into the Reeder wildcats, a .41 Mag necked down to 357, supposed have less setback issues.

Personally… with a few exceptions, I think the setback issue is over blown. As long as he doesn't slobber it in oil, by buddy has no issues with his B&D. Other online acquaintances report the same thing.

I've a .22 Long Snapper and a .38-40 (that I DO shoot high pressure "Ruger Only" loads in) that don't give me any problems either.

Of course that still doesn't mean it'll work real well in a moon clipped gun. ;)