Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 1100 Locking Open

paraman1

I was taking a class this weekend and my Remington 1100 TAC4 kept locking the bolt back with rounds sitting on the carrier still . It has a speedfeed gate installed which I am not sure is a part of the problem or not . Has anyone else experienced this problem and are there some simple things I can check first ? I oiled the heck out of it and checked the O-Ring which appeared to be fine .

Are you talking about a newly fitted EZLoader? If so, you may have a little filing to do.....

The 1100 locks open on every shot -- otherwise it would outrun the magazine's ability to feed a new shell onto the carrier....

The impact from the shell trips the bolt release, allowing the action to close. Another cause could be a weak mag spring, limp shouldering may also contribute....

I was taking a class this weekend and my Remington 1100 TAC4 kept locking the bolt back with rounds sitting on the carrier still . It has a speedfeed gate installed which I am not sure is a part of the problem or not . Has anyone else experienced this problem and are there some simple things I can check first ? I oiled the heck out of it and checked the O-Ring which appeared to be fine .

How is the magazine spring? The shell lifter is released by the next loaded round tripping the release lever.

Yes it has an EZLoader not a speedfeed gate . It was installed when I purchased the gun so I am not sure how long its been installed .

2 of us used it and had the same problem so I am guessing it wasn't limp shouldering .

How can I tell if the magazine spring is worn out or otherwise FUBAR'd ?

Edited by paraman1

How long is the magspring? Really -- how much longer than the tube, when you lay it out next to the mag/extension? I like mine to be 12" longer -- for reliability's sake. Gamers run a seven round spring in an eight round tube to make stuffing shells in easier.....

I know there were several threads on EZLoaders in this forum ~ 4 years ago when I was building/straightening out mine....

I had the bolt action at my first 3-gun match with the 1100, and a just fitted EZLoader. Eventually I got it all sorted out, but it took a little while -- long enough that I put together a complete spare trigger group with EZLoader....

Hopefully I won't have to do that again....

Brownells has springs that can be cut to length.

I actually just put the whole thing in there.. if I can still get all the shells in, I leave it alone. But, if you want to cut.. start at 16" see how that feels.

I know it's on the forum somewhere, I can never find anythign with the new search . sorry

Wolff doesn't even list a spring for the Remington 1100 and the 870 spring is only for a 2 or 3 round extension . I may have to call them tomorrow to see whats what .

Thanks for the help guys .

Wolff doesn't even list a spring for the Remington 1100 and the 870 spring is only for a 2 or 3 round extension . I may have to call them tomorrow to see whats what .

It's Wolff Part Number 65167 (Shotgun Magazine Tube Spring, 45-inches Long). They retail for $6.59 each.

Sure they do -- bottom of this page.....

In case that doesn't work, there's a click on the General Purpose tab at the top, then find Tubular Magazines in a pane on the left hand side of that page....

Last item on the page....