Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Generic question

Ok, so I get the fact that a classifier won't count if it's below 5% below the bottom of your current classification. But, what happens in this scenario?

I'm current at 53+% as a C open shooter, I've shot some 60+% classifications, and some 50's... my most recent one however was shot at 75% which is 2 classifications higher than my current classification. I've heard that it might not be entered due to this fact? Basically I shot an A level classifier, when I'm only C classified. I also won Open at that match, mind you it was a local match :) beating A and B shooter :)... every once in a while I get lucky.

So, while this classifier hasn't posted yet and will in the months updates... I'm just curious, will it count? I hope it does, not that it moves me to B or anything, but it certainly helps me get there.

Thoughts?

Alan

i think they look at the overall scores from that particualar shoot. As long as nothing out of the ordinary are going on with other shooter's scores, i THINK they still use it. I dont see why you should be punished for having a good run.

Just dont have too many of them or you'll be required to after a class bump :P

You may be given an A flag on this score because it is 15% above your bracket. Notice they say MAY. The reason is it may be evidence of the classifer not being set up correctly and not wanting to place you in a bracket you may not be able to perform in.

You may be given an A flag on this score because it is 15% above your bracket. Notice they say MAY. The reason is it may be evidence of the classifer not being set up correctly and not wanting to place you in a bracket you may not be able to perform in.

thats kinda where i was going, just didnt know how to say it, haha. If everyone's scores are wacky high it may be because the stage wasnt set up the right way. If everyone else's scores are fairly "normal" it should be ok. Ive heard of thigns like this happening before and that was the result then

thats kinda where i was going, just didnt know how to say it, haha. If everyone's scores are wacky high it may be because the stage wasnt set up the right way. If everyone else's scores are fairly "normal" it should be ok. Ive heard of thigns like this happening before and that was the result then

Thanks, not sure that makes me feel any better... it was a classifier that we don't shoot around these parts very often and one that's not that hard to setup it was Hillbillton Drill for reference.

I was beat by 2 GM's and another limited shooter, a B class, shot it just short of my HF, but overall all the scores looked pretty normal as scores go for a classifier that is paper and steel from a box, with a reload in the middle.

Suppose we'll see, I guess the person entering at USPSA who deals with classifiers will make that determination of A or Y?

Alan

Ok, so I get the fact that a classifier won't count if it's below 5% below the bottom of your current classification. But, what happens in this scenario?

I'm current at 53+% as a C open shooter, I've shot some 60+% classifications, and some 50's... my most recent one however was shot at 75% which is 2 classifications higher than my current classification. I've heard that it might not be entered due to this fact? Basically I shot an A level classifier, when I'm only C classified. I also won Open at that match, mind you it was a local match :) beating A and B shooter :)... every once in a while I get lucky.

So, while this classifier hasn't posted yet and will in the months updates... I'm just curious, will it count? I hope it does, not that it moves me to B or anything, but it certainly helps me get there.

Thoughts?

Alan

Alan,

Just curious: How did you determine the 75%? The match scores or the Ohio Classifier Calculator?

Later,

Chuck

Thoughts?

Alan

Alan,

Just curious: How did you determine the 75%? The match scores or the Ohio Classifier Calculator?

Later,

Chuck

Yes, I know it's not completely accurate, but I used the classifier calc... it's proven about 80% accurate, but I'll wait till it hits this weekend and see what happens... will be a bummer if it doesn't take... and there is no need in calling uspsa just to say "oh, but the classifier calc says...." yeah just look at your strange and say uh-huh... nice try :) beside, they don't seem too keen on that classifier calc anyway....

Alan

I just use that calc as a ballpark guesstimate as to where ill be at. we got a week and we'll see whae it lands i suppose, haha. let us know how it goes. Like I said, you shouldnt be punished for doing well :)

Thoughts?

Alan

Alan,

Later,

Chuck

Yes, I know it's not completely accurate, but I used the classifier calc... it's proven about 80% accurate, but I'll wait till it hits this weekend and see what happens... will be a bummer if it doesn't take... and there is no need in calling uspsa just to say "oh, but the classifier calc says...." yeah just look at your strange and say uh-huh... nice try :) beside, they don't seem too keen on that classifier calc anyway....

Alan

I was wondering if you were just using the match scores! I never said that the calc was not accurate. In fact, I don't think I have ever seen it off. Heck, I did the same thing before the calculator came into being. I would just look at the USPSA web site to find a club that shot the classifier I was interested and then went looking for scores. If I found a shooter in my division, I would look up his classification record and calculate the HHF for that stage. Then I would figure out how I placed. The calculator is much simpler. In any case, just see what Sedro does. You can question them if there is an issue. BTW: I am guessing you will see the update Tuesday or so...

Later,

Chuck

classifiercalc.com sometimes, less than 50% of the time from what I've seen so far, shows me a score that is 0.0001 higher than what it ends up being when posted by USPSA. Just a rounding difference, I suppose, and plenty accurate for me. (I know they ask you to report errors, but are the really interested when it's 0.0001 off? I haven't contacted them about that, thinking it would be just a bit too nit-picky.)

A--A score that is more than 15% above the member's current classification bracket.

I interpret that to mean that if you're a C shooter, then 74.9999% will count while 75.0000% will get flagged as A and not used.

I've also read (here on the BE forums) that if you call them, you can get them to count it. The A flag is more to protect you from a typo or an incorrectly set up classifier bumping you up into a class in which you can't compete. But if you want it, it's my understanding that they'll give it to you.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm a D shooter. My highest classifier previously was 43%. I shot one recently that I believe is going to come out at 60%. I'm expecting an A flag.

Edited by mgood

• 3 months later...

This just happened to me. I am B Production and shot a GM time on the ElPres as well as a couple Master times that may be above 15% at our last classifier match. I sent an email to USPSA requesting that ALL of my classifiers shot that day be counted to establish my new ranking. I also mentioned that I am currently competitive with the Master shooters. Waiting to see what they say.