Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vacation in Sarasota, FLA

Hi all,

Will be vacationing in Sarasota with the wife and 6 year old daughter in a couple weeks.

Unfortunately won't be able to do any shooting. (I know, what kind of vacation is that???)

Looking for kid-friendly sight seeing, places to eat, places not to go, etc.....

Also how's the drive from Orlando?

Thanks,

Kevin

2 hour drive, not bad unless you hit rush hour. Not worth it unless you are flying into MCO or driving up to see the mouse, or go to Sea World. No Harry Potter yet.

The beaches near Sarasota are gorgeous, even nicer down by Sanibel/Cabitiva island. Sanibel has the best sand I have ever felt.

Golf heaven.

Lots of things and touristy things to do for kids.

Wear LOTS of suntan lotion.

2 hour drive, not bad unless you hit rush hour. Not worth it unless you are flying into MCO or driving up to see the mouse, or go to Sea World. No Harry Potter yet.

The beaches near Sarasota are gorgeous, even nicer down by Sanibel/Cabitiva island. Sanibel has the best sand I have ever felt.

Golf heaven.

Lots of things and touristy things to do for kids.

Wear LOTS of suntan lotion.

+1,000 on Sanibel and Captiva! Gotta go to those! Sea shell capital of the world!

Just drove back from Anna Maria Island today. Both of my kids (12 and 6) really enjoyed the Motes Aquarium in Sarasota. As part of the aquarium experience we also took the eco cruise portion and saw bunch of dolphins and other sea life. :rolleyes:

One thing that was kind of cool, was watching the people gather at the beach to see the sunset. Once the sun goes down, the group of people will clap and go on their business. Being born and raised in Puerto Rico, I never knew people could be so passionate about the sunset. :unsure: I guess it's one of those gringo things... :P

I just got back from Sarasota. Go to Harding Circle just before Lido Beach (great beach) in the evening, get dinner (i went to Tommy Bahama ) then walk around the shops and do some window shopping. The family will have a good time there.

Lido is my favorite beach in the area...often less crowded and absolutely gorgeous.

St Armond's (sp) circle has lots of places to eat (I like Columbia's). Downtown Sarasota has really picked too up over the last few years, with lots of good places to eat, shop etc.

:cheers: Hope you have a great trip!

Siesta Key is nice. I would take the drive up to the big bridge that goes across Tampa Bay. The 'sunshine skyline' I think it's called. Really impressive view of the area! Just driving up and down 41 or the Tamiami Trail is fun. Some really impressive houses along the coast in that area. Good for taking a slow drive and dreamin!!!

I love Siesta Key, but hated the public beach area...always was too crowded when I used to go there. We used to stay in one of the resorts on the beach with private beach area so it was nice.

I really want to go back there now....