Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JHP or Plated bullets for general competition/target load

lucky strike

Looking for a single load I can use for IPSC/Steel Challenge (as well as target practice on my own steel targets). I can't use FMJ bullets because my gun club only allows Lead/JHP/Plated Bullets when competing in Steel Challenge matches.

I have been using plated so far (Berry's at first, switched to X-treme due to thicker plating) and have been generally happy with them. I'm loading with 4.4gr of HP-38 at 1.140, they function perfect in my gun and the accuracy seems about the same as factory plinking loads (stuff like Remington UMC).

Just wondering if there would be any accuracy gains to be made in switching to JHP bullets. They're about $15-20 more per 1000 but if there was a boost in performance I'd probably pay the extra $.

I can't tell from your OP what caliber you're loading for. If you're loading for Open remember plated bullets don't do well at velocities over 1200. The plating seperates from the bullet.

Looking for a single load I can use for IPSC/Steel Challenge (as well as target practice on my own steel targets). I can't use FMJ bullets because my gun club only allows Lead/JHP/Plated Bullets when competing in Steel Challenge matches.

I have been using plated so far (Berry's at first, switched to X-treme due to thicker plating) and have been generally happy with them. I'm loading with 4.4gr of HP-38 at 1.140, they function perfect in my gun and the accuracy seems about the same as factory plinking loads (stuff like Remington UMC).

Just wondering if there would be any accuracy gains to be made in switching to JHP bullets. They're about $15-20 more per 1000 but if there was a boost in performance I'd probably pay the extra $.

What JHPs are $15-20/K more than Xtreme plated bullets?

Right now Xtreme lists 115gr RN (just picked one) for $92/K.

Montana Gold 115gr JHPs are $302/4K (add $5 for residential address)....that works out to $76.75/K....a nice savings over what you're paying now, and a MUCH better bullet. If you're using 124gr bullets, the MG's are $80/K if you buy a case.

It's almost a lock that you'll get better accuracy with the MG's and I've actually heard quite a few horror stories about Xtreme/West Coast plated bullets. I don't know why they cost more than jacketed, but it didn't used to be that way, and it makes zero sense. R,

MG 115 jhps with a load a little lighter than what you are running with a Kart barrel puts the bullets on top of each other at 35yds, it is what I use for steel challenge...and Bart is spot on with the economics!

DougC

You might want to check the accuracy of the plated bullet beyond 25 yards,

The same plated bullet in my Single Stack and Limited guns would not group very well like 8"

Montana gold or Remington JHP 180 jhp group 2" @ 45yards. Good lead bullets shoot well also.

dcalvert

I'm using a plated bullet locally made in Canada. Consistent availability is a problem here for jacketed stuff, and when available tend to be brutally expensive.

Anyway, these are hard-cast and plated thicker so no problem driving them to 1400 fps. They are as accurate as I can hold.

Guess I should have clarified that for IPSC i'm just shooting Production with my XD9. The load I've been using for plated is supposed to come out at like 1080 or so I believe per Hodgdon's online data thing.

Sounds like I'll be switching to JHPs. Doesn't seem like a JHP would be more accurate just from the visual appearance/aerodynamically but I guess if an actual jacket holds everything together better from the "Bang" to when it hits the target it makes sense compared to plated that might warp slightly or something.

Plus having something that I could load hot if I wanted to would be nice.

Even though I know I'd save money in the long run (I go through 1k rounds every 2 months or so) with a bigger order I can only buy 1k amounts of bullets at a time....otherwise the wife gets mad and that's just a big hassle. So the JHP would cost more but like I said,it's something i'd be willing to pay if they're more accurate and you guys seem to all be saying that they would be.

I'll check out Montana Gold...any other comparable companies I should look into?

I'm also thinking of switching to Titegroup powder...any recommended recipes for 124gr JHP? The montana gold JHP's look similar to Hornaday XTP's....I'm guessing I can use the same reloading data? Hodgdon has plenty of info for XTP's.

Edited by lucky strike

I'll check out Montana Gold...any other comparable companies I should look into?

Zero (Rozie distribution), if you can find someone that has them in stock, and Precision Delta also make good bullets that you can buy in bulk. The Zeros tend to be better than the PD's (in my guns), but they have huge contracts with ammo manufacturers that makes availability a problem. Montana Gold, they normally ship no later than the day after you place an order...they never seem to be out of stock. R,

I'm going to order 1k of the MG 124 JHP this afternoon...after looking around I think i'm going to use a starting load of 4.0 Titegroup at 1.100" OAL.

That load should be just fine. I'd guess that accuracy might be better than what you're used to also.