Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Temperature while reloading

CZinSC

I have a real newbie question for you: I am getting into reloading ( havent bought the press yet, but darn close ), and I was planning on putting it in the garage. I went out there today to tumble some brass ( just got the Cabela's Tumbler on the advice of people on these boards...so thanks! ) and realized how hot it was. It was 80 degrees today, and will only get hotter throughout the summer.

So the question is, how hot can the garage get and safely reload? I'll leave the garage door open to try and get a breeze, and plan to have a fan ( or multilple fans) pointed at the bench, but how hot it too hot?

Any advice would be appreciated.

OH, and yes...I WILL be storing the powder and primers in the house where it's temperature controlled.

Being in SC I would be most concerned with humidity and its effects on your press and other equipment. As far at temp goes I think you could load as long as you can stand it out in the garage.

Being in SC I would be most concerned with humidity and its effects on your press and other equipment. As far at temp goes I think you could load as long as you can stand it out in the garage.

Yup, I wouldn't worry about the heat as long as you can stand it. Don't leave powder in the powder dispenser between reloading sessions. High humidity will cause problems in many ways. Cap powder jugs after pouring or putting powder back into them.

CYa,

Pat

One thing to keep in mind is that air currents from fans could disturb the scale readings. Either use a cover for the scale or secure the fans when weighing charges.

Later,

Chuck

Here in TX I usually shut down the fans while weighing charges in the summer. It is the worst 10 minutes of each reloading session.

Yep the fans will mess with your scale. Here in West Texas we don't have the humidiy problem but it gets hot in the garage in the summer. I do most of my loading in spring and fall. Load up several thousand of whatever I'm shooting for the year and then coast thru the hot part of the summer.

I load here in Jackson, MS (High humidity, high temps) in an un-insulated shop year round. The only thing Ido is take the loaded rounds inside the house for temp control. Have had no problems with any thing so far after about 20 years. YMMV.

Before matches I used to stand in my garage in Houston loading .40 and 9mm in the rain and the heat and the cold and with the bugs. Much of the circumstance contributed to ill humor but all of the rounds went bang. I don't think it makes much difference for Pistol ammo. Loading for long range rifle would probably require a more controlled environment, but loading for pistol is more forgiving.

Now I load inside and the round still go bang and my humor is buch better too!