Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holster for G17 Open Gun

Jesse Tischauser

I am going to add a C-More STS and a comp to a G17 to make a budget Open gun.

My question for all of you is will the G17 fit into my G34/G35 holsters with minimal modifications?

If not is there another bladetech kydex holster that will work or do I need to go the ghost holster route?

Hello: It depends on the scope mount? If it is mounted to the slide then no problem with the Blade Tech. If it is a frame mount you may be able to heat and cut it to fit OR you could use a CR Speed or Ghost. If you are doing it for 3-gun I would try the Blade Tech route first. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Hello: It depends on the scope mount? If it is mounted to the slide then no problem with the Blade Tech. If it is a frame mount you may be able to heat and cut it to fit OR you could use a CR Speed or Ghost. If you are doing it for 3-gun I would try the Blade Tech route first. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

Of course that helps Eric, Thanks! I am going to mount the STS on the slide. My biggest concern is if the comp will fit down in the holster? Will I need to cut the end of the holster off or get a G17L holster.

I plan to use it for the big ProAm match at USSA in July and maybe some open division steel challenge if our club gets that going.

I may do a little local 3 gunning with it since Kurt and Mike are about to do away with HM and Open and let them run with the TO/TI guys. If you're not cheating you're not trying! :D

Edited by jtischauser

It depends on the holster. Quick check is to remove the slide from one of your glocks and intentionally push that slide thru the bottom of your holster, go past the end by about an inch - most G17 open guns go no further than that.

If it's just a little bit tight you can silicone-spray the toe of holster and try again. If the holster is lined, you might find you can trim away some of the fuzz to make room for the slide. My holster just needed silicone spray - the kind in a big aerosol can that says "frees stuck bolts and parts".

Just a preference but I'd rather have a clean holster & pouches with silicone plus more tension cranked in: much more consistent than dry dirty gear with less tension.

Use a DOH with an open bottom. I have been using such a holster for some time with excellent results. The bonus is: Whether I shoot Open, Lim, onr Prod I get to use the same thing :)

Are you shooting a G17? If so what comp?

Is your holster for the 4", 5", or 6" guns?

Hello: The cheap Blade Tech plastic holder works great with the slide mounted dot. It has an open bottom so the comp will stick out a bit about the same amount as a G34. I could draw quicker with the cheapy Blade Tech than the Blade Tech for a Glock 34. You want the injection molded Blade Tech. My open G17 used a Jager comp and shot very flat with HS-6 powder. Thanks, Eric

I was thinking on similar lines recently, wondering whether a holster for the G17L might fit an Open G17 with a slid-ride sight and a "slide profile" comp like the Jager.

Curtis

Is the Jager the most similar in shape to slide?

Sure looks like that to me. And they advertise it as such. The key would be length compared to length of G17L, I guess. If I ever decide to go Open with my G17, the length of the LW threaded barrel with Jager comp will be the first thing I will be checking out.

Sure would make for a cheaper setup that a full-race holster...and if I built one, it would have to be on the cheap. Jager offers a nice package price on a setup including the STS, which would be the way I'd go as well.

:cheers:

Curits

Hello: The cheap Blade Tech plastic holder works great with the slide mounted dot. It has an open bottom so the comp will stick out a bit about the same amount as a G34. I could draw quicker with the cheapy Blade Tech than the Blade Tech for a Glock 34. You want the injection molded Blade Tech. My open G17 used a Jager comp and shot very flat with HS-6 powder. Thanks, Eric

I disliked how grit seemed to embed/bury itself in the injection molded holsters more easily than in kydex. Eventually I got rid of all of 'em but one, which I carved out to fit a Buckmark Contour with Tasco red dot scope.

Curtis

Edited by BayouSlide

Use a DOH with an open bottom. I have been using such a holster for some time with excellent results. The bonus is: Whether I shoot Open, Lim, onr Prod I get to use the same thing :)

Are you shooting a G17? If so what comp?

Is your holster for the 4", 5", or 6" guns?

Sorry, I should have given more information :)

I shoot a Glock 17 created by Jager, and my Glock 34 in Limited, Production, and L-10. The DOH hostler that I have completely covers a 4.5 inch gun, but longer guns stick out of the bottom. This is of little consequence to me on the draw.

5a35e3a5.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have a Blade Tech plastic (not Kydex) paddle holster for a G23. My G34 will fit in a pinch, although the muzzle of the G34 extends below the holster. I used it until I could get a Comp-Tac made for my G34.

Edited by wmspdi