Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hybrid Holes

PaulW

Going to add a couple of Hybrid holes to my open gun. GS that I normally use likes to angle them slightly to keep the blast away from shooter and C-more. I think I had read somewhere that this may cause jacket shaving, maybe TJ said this, can't remember. GS said he has never had any problems with shaving jackets when doing this.

What do you guys think or have experience with?

Paul,

If you have a standard barrel (non-hybrid or bull) I do not think that you will derive any benefit from an angle. The shaving of bullets usually has more to do with the method or procedure that they use to make the hole in the barrel. You cannot simply drill the hole in there of you will leave an ugly hole that will shave jackets.

If the barrel is a hybrid or bull, you may have enough thickness that an angle will help with the scope. Remember that giving them all an angle will increase the recoil backward somewhat too.

Leo

I run a 4 port hybred, all ports straight up, with the 1st port kinda close to the c-more. don't really have a problem with the lens getting fogged up. and muzzle/comp blast is alot harder on the RO than it is on the shooter.

Shuman made slanted ports at one time and doesn't any more.

I had a 5 inch viper with slanted ports and had no problems with acuracy.

I realy delive that ethier set up will work efectivly It all boils down to what you

want.

Will Shumans Exsplanation to me was that slanted ported barrels tend to shear off part of the barrel over time rendering very short barrel life.

Take it for what Ya want but the man makes alots of barrels .

By the way I have tried ports with diferent angles and tell the truth I couldent feel much diference. What did make the diference was port size.

The ports realy start working over .165" with .180 to 190" the best for me.

Johnnie