Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slugs for 3 gun

• 1 year later...

Be careful of Fiocchi 1 oz slugs instead of the 7/8 oz slugs because they may not fit in your shell caddies made for 2 3/4" shells. I ran into a fellow shooter at a match that his shotgun shells wouldn't fit in a standard shell caddy.

+1 for this. I bought two boxes of the 1 oz Fiocchi 12LRSLUG from Cheaper Than Dirt, and became disappointed when they didn't fit in my new 4x4 shell carrier. You can stuff them in, but good luck getting them out fast. I was more disappointed when i shot them, because they where very accurate in my 930 JM Pro and very comfortable to shoot.

Be careful of Fiocchi 1 oz slugs instead of the 7/8 oz slugs because they may not fit in your shell caddies made for 2 3/4" shells. I ran into a fellow shooter at a match that his shotgun shells wouldn't fit in a standard shell caddy.

+1 for this. I bought two boxes of the 1 oz Fiocchi 12LRSLUG from Cheaper Than Dirt, and became disappointed when they didn't fit in my new 4x4 shell carrier. You can stuff them in, but good luck getting them out fast. I was more disappointed when i shot them, because they where very accurate in my 930 JM Pro and very comfortable to shoot.

Not only that, but you may not get yer 8/9/x rounds in yer tube either. Ask me how i know...

I get great accuracy out of Speer Lawman low recoils, and I like the blue so they are easy to differentiate. But, they are not cheap. When I run out, I will try the wolf's and probably the Fiocchi 1ozers again. 7/8 Fiocchis wouldn't cycle reliably in my Stoeger, which is odd because they have more recoil energy at their higher velocity than the 1oz loads. Oh well....

• 1 month later...

My gun likes the fiochhi 7/8s oz slugs the best. I have a benelli but it has a lightened bolt. As you can see by the posts above there are several good choices but your going to have to try them as there isn't one slug that does "Best" in all guns.

These !

Through my VM and M1, I prefer the Remington reduced recoil but the accuracy is less than stellar. For close shots (50-60 yards) they work fine. When I need to shot long distances I've had the best luck with Federal Truball slugs. Word of warning, they do kick, but they're very accurate.

Just as an update to my own question, RIO reduced recoil slugs are pieces of shit that are not even good enough for a practice session. (for my gun, at least).

I burned 100 of them or more (bought a case) trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I bought a box of Fiocchi 7/8 low recoil aero slugs and my first 3 shots are 50 yards were touching.

The best I could do at 50 off bags with the rio was maybe 6".

Just as an update to my own question, RIO reduced recoil slugs are pieces of shit that are not even good enough for a practice session. (for my gun, at least).

I burned 100 of them or more (bought a case) trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I bought a box of Fiocchi 7/8 low recoil aero slugs and my first 3 shots are 50 yards were touching.

The best I could do at 50 off bags with the rio was maybe 6".

Are you using rifle sights or a bead sight. If it's a bead sight shooting off bags isn't a great way to shoot and see as your eye is the rear sight and if your eye isn't in the same spot it's like your rear sight is moving

Remington Low Recoil Slugs shoot low right out of my 26" Versamax, removed the clamp and zero improved at 50 yards. The 7/8 oz low recoil Fiocchi's do very well. Has anyone noticed any issues running shotguns w/o a clamp for 3 gun? The guns take alot of abuse and the clamp provides extra support but seems to be at the cost of POI.