Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Paper copy of scores

ChuckS

Hi there,

I have been watching the discussion on the DT palm scoring and some folks seem to think that ditching the printers is a good idea. I just wanted to ask folks if they would be OK with not having a paper copy of their scores after shooting a stage at a major match?

Later,

Chuck

PS: It is a tad ironic that some folks think that Palms are too old to score 1911s :roflol:

Edited by ChuckS

Hi there,

I have been watching the discussion on the DT palm scoring and some folks seem to think that ditching the printers is a good idea. I just wanted to ask folks if they would be OK with not having a paper copy of their scores after shooting a stage at a major match?

Later,

Chuck

PS: It is a tad ironic that some folks think that Palms are too old to score 1911s :roflol:

USPSA rules require paper copy for Level 2 and above.

I dont think we can get away from stage receipts, mess ups at stats does happen, probably very rare but it is possible. Having a receipt can get an error fixed right away.

I don't think people are complaining about the paper being a backup. I think the complaints on the other thread was about the generating of the printouts being a bottleneck in the process: faulty printer to Palm connections, printing issues, etc. The current solution implemented by some clubs to have 2 palms per stage seems to be a good way to workaround the current bottleneck.

I voted for paper on the poll, although, as the stats guy for my club, I can see the value of having the electronic scores to make my life easier. If the generation of the paper backup was seamless (and automatic) it would be a non-issue.

Maybe we are going about this the wrong way? What if scores and times were recorded on scantron's or punch cards? Those get scanned by the electronics and the results get collated, but the shooter hangs on to the paper as a backup. It'll be interesting setting up the protocols to prevent tampering of the paper before they get scanned, though.