Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding Competition Bullet seating die

cavallino

To those that have experience using the Redding competition bullet seating die to reload 38 super, is it suitable for use with coated lead projectiles and did it make a difference in accuracy compared to a regular seating die?

I switched to Redding, competition dies a couple of years ago for all my pistol calibers. With other seating dies, I was sometimes getting lumps on the side of the case, like the bullet was going in crooked, even with new, Starline brass. The way they align the bullet with the case has eliminated that problem.

I haven't had any issues loading moly-coated bullets, the few times I have.

I have them on all my 650's tool heads and much prefer them to the Dillon. I like the micrometer adjustment better than Dillons locknut set up. Change bullets profiles, just twist to adjust. Once you're set, it stays there. With the Dillon seating die I was always having to adjust. I only load jacketed stuff so I have no experience with the coated bullets.

Terry

Hello: I have not noticed any more accuracy with the Redding Seater die. It is better if you are loading alot of different types of bullets. Hornady make a good micrometer seater die as well. If I am loading just one type of bullet like I do with my 45acp I just use the Dillon seater and have no problems. The Redding works great when loading 223 and various bullet weights and profiles. Thanks, Eric

You will not get any more nose deformation with the Redding Seater as long as the shape of the seating stem is correct for the projectile. The Spring increases tension against the projectile progressivley, not suddenly, the pressure exerted against the projectile is the same which ever way you go. But it is increased to what is required gently with the Redding until the case tension preventing the bullet to seat is exceeded.

Like them but don't have them for everything at this time.