Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Problem w. focusing on sights

Aglifter

Sometimes, I can shoot a stage OK - not great, but no mikes. On those stages, I can focus on the front sight, and can make out the holes in the target. Other times, it all falls apart, and I cannot seem to focus on the front sight or see the holes. I'm going to get some better glasses - mine are just some cheap things I picked up. (I have a very dark set of Zeiss glasses, but they don't seem to be the right color.)

I will be trying my next match w. XS Big Dots, which I have on most of my carry guns. Now, I have very poor eyesight, and a mild astigmatism in my dominant eye. It usually isn't even corrected for, as its barely noticeable -- could trying to use my eyes in a match somehow aggravate it? I'm considering getting a prescription set of shooting glasses -- I almost always wear contacts. I think they might be work better.

I would recommend getting glasses with the dominant eye's lens corrected for a razor sharp focus on the front sight.

Then, never look for the holes. Looking right at the front sight tells you everything you need to know about where each bullet went.

be

I would recommend getting glasses with the dominant eye's lens corrected for a razor sharp focus on the front sight.

Then, never look for the holes. Looking right at the front sight tells you everything you need to know about where each bullet went.

be

be,

When shooting open, is it better to use a target focus than a dot focus?

I posted this somewhere but didn't get any feedback, perhaps put in the wrong thread.

I'm left-dominant, right hand shooter and far-sighted, +1 only for reading close and small prints. I use translucent tape on my left lens. This solves the dominancy issue but not the issue of seeing the sights clearly, being far-sighted. When I tried wearing my +1 glasses, boy were the sights crystal! I'm now also thinking of applying a prescription +1 lens on my right lens for a clearer front sight, but leave my left lens as is w/o any prescription, for distance. Won't I have problems (i.e. get dizzy) having 2 different refractions (i.e. when switching from front sights to distant objects when locating targets, or running to another position)? Or does this take some getting used to... if so, perhaps how long? Likewise, won't this worsen the condition of the eyes? Or instead of +1, should I just put something lower, perhaps +0.50 to +0.75 only? Thanks.

Edited by sherpa

Sherpa- why are trying to force your shooting with your right eye instead of your left dominant eye? I never understood why people would do this in action shooting.

As far as my eyes- I'm predominantly far sighted but with age... I need correction for both far and near distances. When I shoot I try to use my contacts- right eye corrected for far vision and my dominant eye (left) for closer vision... not perfect like my reading glasses but I get to see I pretty good front sight for sure. I think what is most important is your eyes ability to shift focus from target to front sight very quickly... since you are doing this quite a bit.

In my case the difference between my dominant eye prescription is not much- .50 (+3.00 when not shooting, +3.50 when shooting) while keeping in the correct strength for far vision in my right eye. This difference isn't so much that it bothers me at. I may try a +3.75 in my dominant eye at some point to see how that works. Bottom line is that monovision can work!

Edited by lugnut

Actually, I find it much easier aligning my arms under my right eye (being right-handed), than having to force my arms to align the gun under my left, dominant eye. I tried it many times, and it's ackward. Besides, I'm used to indexing the gun under my right eye already and the translucent tape works well.

I'm wondering now if having 2 different refractions won't cause any dizzyness... and that it won't worsen the condition of the eyes. And instead of using +1, should I just put something lower, perhaps +0.50 to +0.75 only?

Actually, I find it much easier aligning my arms under my right eye (being right-handed), than having to force my arms to align the gun under my left, dominant eye. I tried it many times, and it's ackward. Besides, I'm used to indexing the gun under my right eye already and the translucent tape works well.

I'm wondering now if having 2 different refractions won't cause any dizzyness... and that it won't worsen the condition of the eyes. And instead of using +1, should I just put something lower, perhaps +0.50 to +0.75 only?

I'm no expert but I talked to my Eye Dr and she said what I was doing made a lot of sense and wasn't at all worried about it. She was the one that offered another strength for my dominant eye if I wanted to try it. I'd just try low and go up to see what works. After a couple minutes I really don't notice the extra strength in the one eye. I think some people use a monovision set up on a daily basis without issues.

When shooting open, is it better to use a target focus than a dot focus?

Never use a dot focus.

In Open, I try to always keep my eyes moving from one target (until the shot breaks) to the next. (Whether that be shooting or moving).

• 1 month later...

I have my rt eye which is dominant. I have a intermidiate vision going from top to bottom,and the the rest of it

my normal distance presripton,as well as my lt eye. Trying to shoot both eyes open. Should I close my lt eye,or still work on both eyes open.

Sometimes, I can shoot a stage OK - not great, but no mikes. On those stages, I can focus on the front sight, and can make out the holes in the target. Other times, it all falls apart, and I cannot seem to focus on the front sight or see the holes. I'm going to get some better glasses - mine are just some cheap things I picked up. (I have a very dark set of Zeiss glasses, but they don't seem to be the right color.)

I will be trying my next match w. XS Big Dots, which I have on most of my carry guns. Now, I have very poor eyesight, and a mild astigmatism in my dominant eye. It usually isn't even corrected for, as its barely noticeable -- could trying to use my eyes in a match somehow aggravate it? I'm considering getting a prescription set of shooting glasses -- I almost always wear contacts. I think they might be work better.

+1 on not looking for holes that takes longer than the shooting. Call the shot.

No shot will hit if the sights are not on the target, but in most cases I think they were but poor trigger control caused it to not be when the shot broke. Dry fire. The fact that you were looking could indicate you didn't know where the sight was when you broke the shot.

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes I see real well,other times my sight become blurry. Not sure what

to do about it,could I go with a little stronger distance,where I can focus on

front sight. I wear progressives,anyone have any ideas.

• 2 weeks later...

As to the dizziness question: I wear progressive bifocals....but don't tell anyone cause I am way too young for such thngs. ;-) Every time I get a new prescription and new glasses I swear that I got the wrong ones....that the glasses were made for someone else. I feel that I can't focus on things near or far, that any areas on the lens that I can see clearly are too small and too localized on the lens, I feel dizzy, depth perception is awkward, round objects appear slightly ovalized, etc. Then after wearing the glasses for several days they start to work more and more until they finally seem just right. My point is that assuming the correction is ok for the individual eyes, your brain will make sense of it all.

I once read about an experiment where subjects were given special mirrored glasses to wear that turned everything they looked at upside down. After awhile of using these glasses, the subjects started seeing everything right side up again. Their brains were able to adapt and make sense of the images. This was fine and dandy until they stopped wearing the glasses and their world was upside down again. Honestly, I am not sure whether this story is bs or not but the brain is an incredible, and adaptive, thing!!

Edited by Sullie

• 5 weeks later...

I have the same problem. I have Meprolights on my G17G4 and on night matches like last night was just brutal... I think i'm just going to duct tape a maglight on the slide and shoot open class!!!! :goof:

I'm going with brighter night sights on the 17 and put the Meps on my G26

• 2 weeks later...

I finally found a optometrist, he shoots competion skeet. He is setting me up w/ Randolph frame w/ presription at top of lens. Hopefully these will work,I'm getting desparate.

If I have problems I'll try tape on other lens.Attaching a maglite sounds pretty good.

I finally found a optometrist, he shoots competion skeet. He is setting me up w/ Randolph frame w/ presription at top of lens. Hopefully these will work,I'm getting desparate.

If I have problems I'll try tape on other lens.Attaching a maglite sounds pretty good.

Before you spend a lot of money on new lenses try this....buy Stick on Bifocals.com ...they are reading lenses that are plastic that are designed to place on your regular glasses at the bottom for reading. They adhere with just water, easily pop of when your done and can be used over and over.

Go to to the Pharmacy and pick out the reading glasses that allow you to see you front sight clearly through the top of your regular glasses(I don't recommend you bring your gun with you for obvious reasons) Just extend your strong shooting arm, stick out your index finger and make sure you can focus on the tip of the finger, that should be close enough. Make a note of the power that works and buy a pair Stick on Bifoculs on line. When you get them cut one to fit correctly at the top inside of you lens for your dominant eye. This will imitate what you doctor wants to do. See how this works for you and then decide if you want to go and spend the $ for a new lens or buy more ammo. :)

If he's a skeet shooter, they use different focus than rifle/pistol shooters. I use different glasses for trap/skeet/sporting clays than shooting iron sight rifle/pistol.

I once read about an experiment where subjects were given special mirrored glasses to wear that turned everything they looked at upside down. After awhile of using these glasses, the subjects started seeing everything right side up again. Their brains were able to adapt and make sense of the images. This was fine and dandy until they stopped wearing the glasses and their world was upside down again. Honestly, I am not sure whether this story is bs or not but the brain is an incredible, and adaptive, thing!!

True story. I read about it in LIFE magazine back in the '60s.

It is somewhat heartening to see I'm not the only blind guy around. I am going open.

I've got extremly dry eyes, had LASIK ten years ago and am wearing glasses again, have horrible "floaters" in my eyes, and can't wear contacts to shoot because they "move" around too much and get me out of focus.

I've had to spend a lot of time dry firing, while practicing on my focal point and teaching myself to go there automatically. It's kind of like practicing on draws and reloads to me. The more I practice it, the more my mind doesn't think about it on a stage which allows my mind to be clear, open, and stay aware of everything going on.

I'm beginning to understand and experience that "awareness state" that BE so often talks about. I will be developing and refining that skill for a long time, but I've seen a huge improvement in my shooting by subscribing to that level of conciousness.

Basically, I'm saying that practicing at the range and dry firing will give you your answer eventually, but don't look to fix anything immediately. If you are experiencing "good" vision on some stages, try to store that away in your memory, take notes right after the stage, and try to reproduce that in practice.

Good luck.