Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm only allegedly a bad GM at this point. :D

Come to think of it, the only LDA I have ever seen used in Production was Todd Jarrett at '02 FGN. There were others there I think and at '03, but I never saw em. I have never seen another used at the local, state, or area level.

I don't understand why the LDA isn't the Production gun of choice of all the STI, SV, and Para shooters in Limited, Open, and L-10. It seems like they would want to keep the grip angle and controls they are used to, with the benefit of an all-steel gun for dampening recoil.

Now, being one of those STI shooters who doesn't shoot a Para LDA, here are my reasons:

- A P18-9 LDA Limited costs twice as much as a GSSF Glock 17

- Para 10-round magazines are $50 each and, supposedly, are utter crap

- Glock 17/34 magazines are $20 each and are relatively indestructable

- 9x19 below 145 PF isn't bad from a plastic frame

- I can also shoot GSSF with a Glock 17

Looks like you got both the pros & cons... :)

Address the # of people shooting the "other" production guns listed by Mr. Gray's article?? Seen many Smiths or HKs?

Oh Yea - do current rules allow aftermarket barrels to be fitted to a Production division gun?

I started shooting the LDA after last years FGN. I absolutely love it. The interesting thing I have noticed is I actually find myself concentrating harder as I stroke the trigger. Because it is a long stroke, I am forcing myself to really look at the sights which has it's own benefits.

Jim Anglin at Sailors Custom touched my gun up and gave it a good look over. Jim is a good guy to deal with also.

Actually Erik the 10 rounders that came with my P18-9 work great, my super hi-caps work fine as long as there's no more than 10 rounds in them, any more than that and they nose dive with 9mm.

My P18-9 was only $625.00 how much is a new G17?

Yeah but you can't compete in USPSA Production with P16 or P18 or whatever full-capacity magazines or cool 10-rounders you built yourself. You've got to use what came with the gun, or a reasonable fascimile thereof.

GSSF commerative G17, $398, new, with two magazines. They might not have any more. Used or refurbs are about that price. I think $625 is a hell of a deal in CA for a Pxx LDA Limited. You're still talking a couple hundred difference between Austrian molding and Canadian casting.

Merlin D, yeah, aftermarket barrels are OK.

I don't think SIGs, Smiths, Berettas, CZs, or anything else are popular because of their double action trigger pulls.

Just got an LDA Limited in .40. I bought it because:

1. My other match guns are Paras, and, as Erik said, it duplicates the weight, sight picture, grip and grip angle exactly (well, weight almost exactly).

2. I can use my P16 hicaps in it .

3. I had three 10 rounders for my other guns, and the LDA came with four more, no extra charge (two with the gun, two in lieu of the hicap certificate, which can't be used here in California). All the mags work, by the way..

4. Despite other people's experiences, my Para's have always been reliable.

5. I like heavy guns for IPSC, and a down loaded 40 is even easier in an all steel frame (except for the plastic mag release and ms housing).

6. The Limited model has nice features (stainless - a look I like, ambi tactical safety, a reasonable Bomar clone, nice finish work) at a price I thought reasonable (about 1K), and, since they came on the gun, they are legal in Production.

7. It's true I like glocks, and buying a G35 is an option. but I plan on winnng one in the next local GSSF match

:D

yes, the LDA is a nice shooter, like a .22 with 9 mm, and it totally mimics my Limited/Standard gun, the primary reason why I chose it. It has a longer trigger reset/travel than the Glock, hard to shoot anything less than 0.2 splits even just firing at the backstop.... No problem in Production where you must shoot all As anyway. Trigger pull can be adjusted to 2 lbs, smooth and slick

Anyone who uses the US/Canada reduced-capacity mags (half-metal, half plastic) for any length of time (including dry fire!) will find that they are extremely poorly designed and made, and that the plastic bottom needs to be replaced every few 1000 uses. Neither USPSA nor IPSC rules prevent you from using the original high-cap magazines that come with the LDA in all other countries (but, of course, in the US this means extra $$$ unless you already own them...). In fact, mag capacity (most of mine, original factory, hold 19 of 9 mm!) is a big plus in IPSC, the LDA is the highest capacity Production Div. gun that I know of. And yes, that is 19rds of flawless function...

Another minus is the usual 1911 ailment of can't use-it-as-is (in the use-as-is Dvision!), more often than not the LDAs simply don't work properly fresh out of the box (ejection problems, magazines not falling free, grip safety not adjusted properly aso asf). And IMHO, the factory rear sight is pretty bad (replaced mine with a Henie).

Finally, reloads are a terrible pain in the neck because the top of the mag is pretty much exactly the size of the mag opening, and mag funnels are not permitted in PD. Plan on practicing reloads 50% of your dry-fire time...

--Detlef

i have a para lda limited. i like the way it shoots. the mags are a pain in the ass. however. the plastic crap on the bottom of the mags is not engineered well. the mags some times bite/pinch my palm on relaods.

watch out gm mink..gm wannabe might shoot production. :D

lynn