Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked Slide

IPSC GUY

I have discovered that the slide on my STI .40 has two cracks in it near the front. They start at the bottom of the slide right where the forward cocking serations begin and travel up the side of the slide and extend almost all the way around to the top. Good thing I found this before catching most of the slide in my face.

The cracks follow the rear most cocking seration almost perfectly. The pistol has not seen any hot loads or abuse so I am scratching my head as to why it has cracked. I have yet to contact STI as they are closed till the 5th. Will they replace this or not? Any suggestions for dealing with STI?

IPSC_GUY sends

STI is a great company to deal with. There are a few questions though. Was the gun bought complete from STI or did someone else build it? (May or may not matter). If it was built, did you supply the slide or was it provided by the gun builder? If provided, then I'd take it back to the builder. He may have a quicker time dealing with it plus he should refit as part of the warantee. Finally, did the front cocking serations come with the slide from STI or were they cut in after the fact?

It is an STI "EDGE" that was built by Dawson on a long dust cover frame. I did not think to talk to Dawson as the cracks are in a place that would have nothing to do with their work. The front cocking serations are from the factory. It just seems to me that the slide is very hard. I don't have a rockwell tester on hand to test it but that is my impression and also the reason I now believe it cracked.

IPSC_GUY sends

[blatant stab at the S_I guys from a Para shooter mode on]

Found a crack in one of my para slides. Sent it in forgetting the note as to why it cracked ( which also included my return address!!! ) Realized I had forgot the note and called para. They told me they got my slide in the mail and had shipped a new one out that day using the return address!!! No questions!!!

[blatant stab at the S_I guys from a para shooter mode off/]

:P:P:P

PS...just having some fun. Not trying to start a this vs's that war!!!

Warranty or not & Dawson or not, they need to replace this man's slide. No question that they built the slide & they should follow Dillon's example on customer service w/ a "No BS warranty". Anything short of free replacement and I agree with Dillon: to do otherwise is BS. I don't mean to come off sounding harsh on poor STI but the gun owning/manufacturing community tends to hold more traditional values and I think we should lead by example by following the traditional rule: the customer is always right. Replace it for free & build a loyal following. Please let us know that they say.

Conversely, who said they would? I merely stated what they NEED to do; I did not say what they would or would not do in this situation.

The next step is to hear back from IPSC GUY as to what reply he receives. Regards, D.

It is an STI "EDGE" that was built by Dawson on a long dust cover frame. I did not think to talk to Dawson as the cracks are in a place that would have nothing to do with their work.

I don't think the important question has been answered. Did Dawson build the gun from parts or did Dawson get the gun whole from STI. Either way, I think Dawson is the first place to go as the slide will need to be refitted.

I cracked my slide at the 2002 Nationals and straight from Dave Skinner's mouth the answer was

"Yes, we'll replace it, as long as it's not been cut or lightened!"

Only problem was, my smith had put a Caspian slide on the gun - DOH!

I strongly suggest you contact Dawson first though, Dave'll send you in the right direction if he can't help you.