Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hollow points jam!

digerup

I purchased a Para 16-40 for limited division last week and cant seem to get the hollow point bullets to run without an occasional hiccup. The gun runs factory American Eagle 180 flat nose without a problem. I have about 1000 Berrys HP 180gr. I would like to use. I've tried seating short and long, and long seems to be better but still have an occasional feeding jam. I have also tried increasing powder with these loads. Is this common with HP bullets or is there something else I should try.

Since it feeds flat nose good I would take a look at your barrel feed ramp. You might need to polish it to a mirror finish. Also since hollow points are normally shorter thab FMJ -try and go long as you can on the OAL with the Hollow points without hitting the rifling when the round chambers.

What's the longest OAL you've tried? Hollow points, in general, can be more of a challenge to get to feed properly, and soft versions (plated bullets like Berry's) even moreso as they'll slightly deform when they hit the ramp. A good polish on the ramp may be enough, but it could require a bit of shaping by a smith. R,

I shoot a p16-40 and it will shoot anything that I want to load but did not start that way, one is to load long and the other is to polish the feed ramp, I know do this to all of my pistols the way I do it is I take a wooden dowel of the size of the brass case for the one I am working on, wrap it with 600 wet dry paper and polish in direction of travel of the round.

y

I then load a couple dummy rounds and function them through the gun slowly watching how the feed and where they hit the ramp, this is to check if the magazine is releasing the round at the rite time. Brain posted on the forum in gunsmithing a way to check and adjusted your over all length.

hope this might help.

:D

Using a wooden dowel and polishing up the ramp(in the bullet direction)

is the way to do the ramp.If ya can find some 1500 grit and after you

uss 400 then 600 use the 1500 in an up direction only.

You may need to open the mag lips up some.

some Para's need to have the barrel lowered in the frame for really

good feeding.

:lol:

Jim/Pa

SAILORS