Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip size on double stack

1911vm

Trying to decide which gun to get for ESP in IDPA in 9mm.

Does anyone have data on grip size for double stacks? What is the order? Between STI,SVI, Caspian and Para. Who has the largest and who has the smallest. I could not think of any other viable manufacturers in 1911 platform but please feel free to add.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

This is a good question that I would like to hear the answer to also. I plan on building a limited gun but do not know anyone who owns an STI/SVI. I have used a Para before and it is not uncomfortable but have heard the STI has more of a feel of a single stack. I shoot a single stack 1911 more than anything because it is my carry gun. So if I can compete with a double stack that feels like a single stack then the familiarality curve wouldn't be all that great. So until I get an answer I'm torn between building up a springer double stack, caspian, or STI. Para is out of the equation because of the last issue I had with them and their p!$$ poor customer service dealing with it, yes it was under warranty.

-Steve

Hello: The plastic grips on the STI can be thinned down to be a little thicker than a 1911 with thick grips. You can also undercut the trigger gaurd to give you a higher grip. The thin metal STI grip is actually a bit bigger than my plastic STI grip. A 9mm STI 2011 is pretty sweet :cheers: I am building a 2011 with a 9mm commander slide for IDPA. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

I find the STI plastic grip feels akward in my hand. It's much wider than a 1911, and feels square-ish. After shooting an STI 2011 off and on for a year I'm going to give a Caspian a try. I borrowed one from a friend and it feels much more like a 1911 to me. YMMV.

SVI has several options in steel grips that are nice. I've never shot a gun with one on it, but I've held a few and like the feel. I just can't get past the price tag.

Have any of you tried thin grips with skateboard tape on a widebody? to me this would sound like the most comfortable way to shoot. my doublestack 1911 i just got used to the factory grips, so never changed it around (yet).

-steve

The only way to confirm if a grip dimensions are good for you...you are going to have to try before you buy.

Given that the STI Metal grips are having issues as noted on this forum...and let' face it the SVI's are amazing....but priced acordingly.

Put the word out on your clubs bulletin board and see itf you get any takers.

Ciao.

You guys are talking IDPA, and seem to like your current singlestacks, why even bother with a wide body ?

Lots of 9+1 and 10+ 1 options out there in singlestack 1911's in 9mm, 38, and .40

You guys are talking IDPA, and seem to like your current singlestacks, why even bother with a wide body ?

Lots of 9+1 and 10+ 1 options out there in singlestack 1911's in 9mm, 38, and .40

you're right, thats why i'll be shooting limited 10 this year as soon as i place my order for 10 round mags and 2 more single stack mag pouches. when i started my new job i bought a second hand open gun 1911 wide body. so that put building a limited gun on the back burner for a little while. (the deal was too good to pass on the open gun)now focusing on the single stack i do have, i will try to keep it as legal as possible for single stack, lim 10, and idpa. but i'm sure i'm not the only person who already is thinking about their next project even though it may be some time before its complete. so i use this time to continue researching, searching forums on opinions and reviews for guns. I also am tempted to just go out with a glock 22 in limited because i know an old PPC guy who thinks glocks are nothing more than paper weights. that sounds like motivation to do well with something different.

-steve