Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First impression of M&P .357 Sig

sig2009

1. Accuracy from a rest at 25 yards is terrible. Not able to group any shots. Most of the time shots don't even hit the cardboard the target is stapled to.

2. Slide to barrel fit is terrible!!!!!!!! Sloppy. Horizontal and vertical movement of the barrel is excessive. With barrel in the slide with one thumb pushing down on the barrel lug and the other thumb pressing down on the front of the barrel there is movement. There should be none!

3. Calling S&W tomorrow to send this back.

4. Not happy with this gun and it's performance!

1. Accuracy from a rest at 25 yards is terrible. Not able to group any shots. Most of the time shots don't even hit the cardboard the target is stapled to.

2. Slide to barrel fit is terrible!!!!!!!! Sloppy. Horizontal and vertical movement of the barrel is excessive. With barrel in the slide with one thumb pushing down on the barrel lug and the other thumb pressing down on the front of the barrel there is movement. There should be none!

There should be barrel movement. Glocks, M&Ps etc, are tilt barrel designs.

So if that is the case then the barrel will not lock up in the same place after every shot which means that the shots will not group. That is absurd.

So if that is the case then the barrel will not lock up in the same place after every shot which means that the shots will not group. That is absurd.

I'm confused. How are you pushing down on the barrel lug? Is this with the slide off the gun or on?

I'm confused. How are you pushing down on the barrel lug? Is this with the slide off the gun or on?

This is with the slide off. Spring and guide rod removed. If you put pressure with your thumb on the lug and press with your other thumb on the front of the barrel inside the slide it moves up and down. Also side to side the barrel hood moves from side to side. Almost enough room to fit a credit card between the barrel hood and the slide.

Edited by sig2009

.357 Sig is kind of an odd caliber to be shooting for our IDPA, steel challenge, and USPSA run and gun games.

Do you reload?

Were these lack of accuracy results with factory .357 Sig ammo?

I had terrible accuracy out of some WWB .357 Sig loads that I tried. About 1 out of 10 even went sideways through the paper.

I had better luck out of my reloads but (to me) the .357 Sig is a goofy round for me to play with. I'll stick with the .40 barrel for the competitions.

• 2 weeks later...

M&P came back from S&W yesterday. Pretty quick turnaround about 1 week and 2 days. A little disappointed in the service with the gun though. They included a work order with the return of the pistol which said "REPAIRED:INSPECTED/TESTED & PASSED". OK! repaired what? They included a target. 5 rounds were shot at 15 yards offhand and all 5 were in the black. I call customer service and ask what was done to the gun. They can't tell me because the gunsmith doesn't have time to write everything down. I ask "Did he do anything?" He says "I don't know". He says gun should be fixed and take it to the range. I tell him the problem I was having was accuracy at 25 yards and the target sent back to me was shot at 15 yards. Again no answer!!!! I hear silence on the other end. At this point I am not impressed with either the M&P or S&W Customer Service although that could all change when I shoot the gun this weekend and see if there is any difference.

Have you tried different ammo? I don't have a whole lot of time with a Sig (none on an M&P, waiting on one to come in), but as mentioned, it can be picky about ammo. As far as the barrel moving, that's almost inherent to all of the polymer guns.

I find that you don't seem to get it, are you sure you can shoot a decent group, and did you try any other ammo.

the Front Sight magazine just had a article on making a 357 sig shoot in Europe and they had a hard timing making it work with a custom hand fitted STI. You should probably try some different ammo and get some one that has experience in shooting groups shoot it for you.

G-Man Bart goes out of his way to help people on this forum.

Wow. I just gutted 13 16 posts out of this topic, most of which were childish name calling and general bad behavior. They've been moved to the Moderator's forum for future reference, if needed.

We don't encourage or tolerate that here. Play nice or play elsewhere.