Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extra kydex + free time = cheap stuff

want2race

I have some inch thick Delrin laying around, some free kydex and more time than money. I used the Delrin as the forming mold for both the shell carriers and the mag pouch.

Too bad it's white, but the price was right.

I started with the mag pouch because I didn't have one and just finished my 3 gun rifle. Then, once my 3 gun belt was finished off (with 4 Progressive shell carriers) I was amazed at how HEAVY it was. Empty!

post-8536-126731661749_thumb.jpg

post-8536-126731662941_thumb.jpg

Krylon Fusion paint for plastic is the answer. Amazingly durable.

If you get more ideas for kydex, I've got more white at the plant. PM me if you need some. I can bring it to a local match.

BTW nice work!

Dave

Edited by Airedale

I have some inch thick Delrin laying around, some free kydex and more time than money. I used the Delrin as the forming mold for both the shell carriers and the mag pouch.

Too bad it's white, but the price was right.

I started with the mag pouch because I didn't have one and just finished my 3 gun rifle. Then, once my 3 gun belt was finished off (with 4 Progressive shell carriers) I was amazed at how HEAVY it was. Empty!

Shaun,

Can you take some more detailed pictures of the carriers, specifically the bottom and sides and how you did the pocket curves to hold the shells from coming out the bottom??

Those look great, what did you use for belt attachment, they kinda look like tek-loc's, but not quite...

Alan

I used some older tek-locs. Waiting for some more (new ones) to come in. I want to make at least 3 more. They weigh less than half of the progressives. Don't get me wrong, the Progressives are the Cadillacs of the carriers, but I wanted the Lotus model (lighter).

I'll try the Fusion, in flat black, or Sand, and see how it lasts.

Next project, a carry holster for my wifes Government .380 (AKA, my church gun).

As requested.

Ah, ha... perfect, I wondered, and you provided the answers. Care to off the basic dimensions of the Delrin block?

Thanks so much!

Alan

I've got 6 of the Mt Man (or whatever they are called) setting right here and yes they are *heavy* with out being loaded... so this may be an good alternative

If you measure the inside width and thickness of your mtn man carriers, that's all you need (and height of course). My delrin block is around .910 thick. I was going to mill some material off of my 'real' carriers to shed some weight but figured I'd try this first.

I made a shell carrier this evening.

I used all thin (.062) kydex as it's all I had at home. I also made the belt attachment out of kydex.

I'll assemble the pieces tomorrow. The paint is drying now. I believe it will work fine and it's very light.

Dave

I used all thin (.062) kydex as it's all I had at home. I also made the belt attachment out of kydex.

I'll assemble the pieces tomorrow. The paint is drying now. I believe it will work fine and it's very light.

Dave

Pics or it didn't happen!

Dave

Pics or it didn't happen!

OK- Mine aren't as clean as Shauns but they work.

shotshellrear.jpg

shotshellfront.jpg

Dave

Do you guys want to make some of these to sell or is it a case of it takes 6 hours to make and it's not worth it? I just started shooing 3-gun and can't really find anything that I can afford as far as shotgun shell holders. And the AR mag holder is pretty nice too!

Jeff

All it takes is some kydex, a way to cut it and heat it, and some fasteners. I used an old 2' level as the form.

Cheap and easy.

Dave

Where is the best place to get the kydex and supplies? I see a lot of listings on google, mostly involving knife companies.

• 1 month later...

We had to remove about 8 posts... We had a member here that was in violation of the forum rule for advertising his products/services on the forum. Some of the posts removed were in response to that (if you are wondering where a post went).

Please keep the thread on the "do it yourself" track.

Thanks,

- Admin.