Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2010 MidwayUSA / NRA Bianchi Cup

NRAActionPistol

All,

We have been wanting to do this for a while, but finally we are able to post the Official Program, it will be on the Website as well.

This should answer most questions of those of you that are attending and those of you that are thinking of attending!

Thanks for your patience.

Tom...

2010ProgramGuide.pdf

Usually I think there have been many good efforts to help make action pistol better, but to bad only top 3 in each division for the shoot off. Sure will take some of the exciting drama on who makes it to the final 4 from the top 16 (open). This is were most of the spectators come to see the speed demons let loose. Really To Bad This Changed!!! Making the top 16 use to mean something for some since there is really no room for error in this match. Top 3 are not always the fastest, but maybe most accurate. This isn't always the case but very well could be on any given year.

Should the NCAA just have a final four & no others in the field :rolleyes: ? Just my 2 cents.

Tony

I'll agree with Tony that this is a step backwards. I have been shooting Bianchi every year since 2000. I have made the top 16 for the past 4 years. Making the top 16 has been a goal of mine since I started going. The first few years I just wasn't good enough but we all set goals.

If you look back at all the results from Bianchi you will find that the High Master class has more shooters than any other class. This sport is top heavy. To win the HM class a shooter must come in 6th overall. 7th for second and 8th for third. This is no small accomplishment. Most of these shooters are the match directors at the local level so they are the ones who are out there promoting the sport and helping new shooters.

Let's face it, the cash awards in Open for the top 20 have been dismal at best. I understand the reason for it but it still doesn't change anything. I can remember getting 2 good prizes in the prize bag in 10 years. By comparison, each year that I have been at the Steel Nats or the Steel Challenge in Piru, I received a prize package that was equal to or greater than my entry fee. I know Tom went to Piru last year to see how the match was run and hopefully things will change.

I hear that this decision was made because with the addition of Production and the Pro Am the event just took too long. The staff had scores to look over and the like. The scores are tabulated by the barbecue on Friday night. The scores for the shootoff are done while the event goes on. All that is required later is to type them up. As far as the Pro Am goes, I believe it needs to be shot during the week in the late afternoons when the events are winding down. The only event that doesn't get done early is the Mover. Have them shoot shoot 3 of the events instead of the speed event. After all, there was time for the Shooting USA crew to shoot their events at the end of the day. Maybe then it would get on TV. When was the last time you saw the Speed event on TV?

One of my biggest disappontments at Bianchi came the year I came in 17th. That's one place out of the shootoff. If it's not such a big deal for us then why is that considered one of my worst finishes. After all, they used to take the top 8 qualifiers and then shoot man on man. Then they cut it to the top 4. Now we're only going to take the top 3 overall?

Making the top 16 and being in the shootoff is a badge of honor. Making the top 4 qualifiers is icing on the cake.

I'll agree with Tony that this is a step backwards. I have been shooting Bianchi every year since 2000. I have made the top 16 for the past 4 years. Making the top 16 has been a goal of mine since I started going. The first few years I just wasn't good enough but we all set goals.

If you look back at all the results from Bianchi you will find that the High Master class has more shooters than any other class. This sport is top heavy. To win the HM class a shooter must come in 6th overall. 7th for second and 8th for third. This is no small accomplishment. Most of these shooters are the match directors at the local level so they are the ones who are out there promoting the sport and helping new shooters.

Let's face it, the cash awards in Open for the top 20 have been dismal at best. I understand the reason for it but it still doesn't change anything. I can remember getting 2 good prizes in the prize bag in 10 years. By comparison, each year that I have been at the Steel Nats or the Steel Challenge in Piru, I received a prize package that was equal to or greater than my entry fee. I know Tom went to Piru last year to see how the match was run and hopefully things will change.

I hear that this decision was made because with the addition of Production and the Pro Am the event just took too long. The staff had scores to look over and the like. The scores are tabulated by the barbecue on Friday night. The scores for the shootoff are done while the event goes on. All that is required later is to type them up. As far as the Pro Am goes, I believe it needs to be shot during the week in the late afternoons when the events are winding down. The only event that doesn't get done early is the Mover. Have them shoot shoot 3 of the events instead of the speed event. After all, there was time for the Shooting USA crew to shoot their events at the end of the day. Maybe then it would get on TV. When was the last time you saw the Speed event on TV?

One of my biggest disappontments at Bianchi came the year I came in 17th. That's one place out of the shootoff. If it's not such a big deal for us then why is that considered one of my worst finishes. After all, they used to take the top 8 qualifiers and then shoot man on man. Then they cut it to the top 4. Now we're only going to take the top 3 overall?

Making the top 16 and being in the shootoff is a badge of honor. Making the top 4 qualifiers is icing on the cake.

All good points, Kevin, but I fully expect to see you in the shoot off this year immediately following you holding up a big silver cup for a photo op!

I agree with both Kevin and Tony.

Most of us that travel a long way look fo rsomething to aim for. I suddenly can't recall my best finish but I finally busted 1900 at last years Cup. In theory the next step would have been getting to the top 16.

After talking to a few guys here and looking at where my scores are going and with only the top 3 of this and that going to the shoot off, the best bet is to suddenly turn Snr and hope the John Pride has a bad day.

The thing is everyone who will go to the shoot off is alreadya shoe in for decent prizes. The Top 16 finish was the chance for glory (such as it is) for those that have busted there balls and got in most liklihood about 1914 plus. Now we will have those shooting 1850ish getting a look at the speed event and those that worked as hard and got a higher score will be pissing in the wind. Not sure it is right.

I just went through the program guide above and my congratulations to Greg Davis on last year's Mover score! I realize that it has to be a typo, but anyone shooting a 486-26X on the Mover with a Metallic gun (or any gun for that matter) is to be admired!!:cheers:

Since the highest possible for the rest of us mere mortals is only a 480, he's one helluva shot. Must have been using "Duplex" loads. :rolleyes: He shoots at our club on a regular basis and he never quite got that high a score on any of the events we have out here in the weeds!

Congrats again Greg!!:cheers::roflol::cheers:

Alan~^~

Alan

Greg has always been 'different' so you should not be surprised.

As I am not attending this year I don't know if I am allowed to criticise?

The main event is the Bianchi Cup,as you guys have said to finish in the top 16 and get in the Speed Event was a goal to achieve for the 'mere mortals'. I have shot in the shootoff twice in the last 3 years by virtue of being the best 'old phart'.(Your words Chuck)and it is something to strive for, a real buzz. For a lot of shooters, the top three is only a dream, for a lot more the top 16 is achievable and a goal that keeps us going back year after year.I realise that it is a "numbers game" to the organisers, to get the sponsors to part with the cash; but don't dumb down the speed event.There is still time to run a top 16 and the different classes on the Saturday morning. If you want to run the Speed Teams Event, fit it in during the weeks shooting like a side event.

AND is this still the National Action Pistol Championship? The only time I have noticed this on the entry is the Competitors News Release?

Coatesy

I just went through the program guide above and my congratulations to Greg Davis on last year's Mover score! I realize that it has to be a typo, but anyone shooting a 486-26X on the Mover with a Metallic gun (or any gun for that matter) is to be admired!!:cheers:

Since the highest possible for the rest of us mere mortals is only a 480, he's one helluva shot. Must have been using "Duplex" loads. :rolleyes: He shoots at our club on a regular basis and he never quite got that high a score on any of the events we have out here in the weeds!

Congrats again Greg!!:cheers::roflol::cheers:

Alan~^~

Bonus points for TECHNICAL MERIT, or STYLE !

MJ

Here is the updated Official Program2010ProgramGuide.pdf

Team Speed Event-- This match will be limited

to ten (10) teams of three competitors each. The

team members will each shoot one match from

Match #2, Match #3, and Match #4 at the two

longest distances in a reduced time. This match will

be fired on Saturday, 29 May 2010. The highest

Possible Team Score 4320-432X

If 3 of us are only shooting one event a piece at the 2 longest distances, then how is the possible team score going to be 4320? Each shooter can only score a maximum of 240 points which would make a team score of 720.

It's hell when one person has to make changes to such a big document. Nothing makes sense after a while.

• 3 weeks later...

Style points...yes I believe that was it.....or was it extra because the target fell off and I had to wait to finish the 25 yard stage....

Greg in VA

So Greg, you got to stop and rest during the event....and that's all the X's you were able to shoot? We will expect more this year, with or without style points or technical merit points.

By the way this Team Speed event is going to be a bear for the Production shooter on the barricade. Five and six seconds at 25 and 35 yds is a tuff!

MJ

OK shooters, April 1st is only a week away and now is the time for the press to get more people signed up to shoot the Bianchi Cup 2010. I don't have the tally, but I think we are somewhere in the low one hundred twenty range and in order to get to 200+ we need to turn over some rocks, look under some logs, and maybe visit a shooting range or two!

We must do this for this event to continue into the future, so come on, if we would pair up with another shooter, and if each pair of us (two heads are better than one) could come up with one person (that's only half a person each) to sign up fr the Cup that would give us 60 more shooters and that would put us just below 200. Then if those 60 pair up and come up with one per pair, then we are at 210! If this is not doable, then group in trios, quads or whatever. Heck, sign up for the second gun that'll boost gun entries.

Now let's not hear all the reason why you can't, or won't, or shouldn't. Instead, recruit someone to come to the Cup and I guarrantee they will learn more about shooting, learn more about themselves as a competitor than they will have learned in any other week in their shooting life. During Bianchi week, especially at the practice range, you will have the opportunity to chat, get advice from a gathering of the best pistol shooters who ever walked the earth. Just to name a few, and there are many more: John Pride, Jerry Miculek, Doug Koenig, Vera Koo, Julie Golub, Bruce Piatt, Robert Vadaz, Vance Schmidt, Carl Bernosky, John McNally, Mike Voigt, Dave Sevigny, TGO, Tony Holmes, Phil "no respect" Strader and dozens more! In this group there are World Champions, probably a hundred Nation Title holders, former Olympians. I would venture to say, that there is no broader range of talent at any shooting related gathering on earth.

Consider the speed and accuarcy of Miculek, Voigt, Holmes, & Piatt with handguns or rifles. Then there is the unparalleled rifle skills of Bernosky. How about Vadaz and Pride, and strength in PPC. I believe it still holds true that John Pride is one of only 3 persons to ever shoot a perfect 1500 in Registered Competition. The other two were James E. Colins and Philip Hemphill. Hemphill was a regular at Bianchi until he decided he wanted to go after the BE Title, which he is en route to that! Then there is this guy you may have heard about called Rob, yep he is there too and always willing to talk. Oh, there are some dam n good gunsmiths there too if you want to pick their brain on your ideas. Will 2010 be the year of some surprise upsets in OPEN, METALLIC and PRODUCTION? There has been no recent year that it is more likley than 2010! Be there when history is made. Either Doug or Bruce will add to their tally, or will it be Carl B. or Don G. or maybe Kevin A. or the first ever Senior to take it all John Pride! Will it be Greg D. the upset winner in Metallic, or Finally Phil? Production may also have a surprize as that is now catching some serious steam. No matter what HISTORY will be made. Let's not forget the ladies. Will it be Julie or Vera or some other? Juniors, may be wide open. Grand Senior, that ought to be race with fomer MHP great Billie Hughes, and Tome from Louisiana and the old bald guy, Colonel Sanders from Virginia! And certainly do not forget the many talents from Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, Italy, Switzerland and more.

I am telling you, where else can you go on the planet, and gather as much knowledge in talking one on one with any of these guys? Did I forget to mention, that for this "convention fee" you also get to shoot? Yes, you can participate in a fantastic match, some great social events, and after all the shooting and scoring is over there are plenty of towels. The towels are used for both wiping tears of "I can't believe I shot a 1910 and missed a plate at ten yards" and wiping tears from laughter. Bianchi week is that kind of week! What the hell are you waiting for?

Call Tom Hughes or Damien Orsinger at NRA HQ now and sign up....and bring a buddy!

See you in Columbia at the World's greatest gathering of multi-talented shooters on the planet, good social, and just a good ole slap each other on the back good time, and range time for all as a bonus.

Martin

Edited by Allgoodhits

OK shooters, April 1st is only a week away and now is the time for the press to get more people signed up to shoot the Bianchi Cup 2010. I don't have the tally, but I think we are somewhere in the low one hundred twenty range and in order to get to 200+ we need to turn over some rocks, look under some logs, and maybe visit a shooting range or two!

The Total competitor's today is 141, thi sis pretty amazing when you think that we are awarding $92,000 in CASH! This year.

We all understand the difficulties with the economy, and lack of equipment, but we need to get out and exercise our right to keep and bear arms, and as Martin writes hang out with the best shooters in the World!

Where else can you shoot with the best shooters in the world, get free shooting advice, have planned social events to include a FREE Music perfrmance and a Coat & Tie awards Dinner at the conclusion?

Tom...

Perfect 141! So if each two could bring one, then we would be at 211 competitors!

BTW, the tournament draws the best shooters in the world, but the rest of us can shoot too! Don't be intimidated, everyone started from scratch at some time or another. Some of us are still scratching, but we have fun!

OK, let's Git R Done!

MJ

Im about to sign up (first time shooter, production!), but have a question. What does the guest ticket for $50 get you ? Is it for the Friday/Saturday night events or do they have to have it for admission to the range during the week or both ?

Edited by DWFAN

Im about to sign up (first time shooter, production!), but have a question. What does the guest ticket for $50 get you ? Is it for the Friday/Saturday night events or do they have to have it for admission to the range during the week or both ?

Admission to the range is free to all! Spectators, guests and anyone else who cares to show up to watch. Parking at the range is separated for shooters and spectators, but the $50.00 gets your guest into all the social events and awards dinner.

Alan~^~

Admission to the range is free to all! Spectators, guests and anyone else who cares to show up to watch. Parking at the range is separated for shooters and spectators, but the $50.00 gets your guest into all the social events and awards dinner.

Alan~^~

Just for clarification, the guest fee $50 does not cover the practice range use.

MJ

I already have sent in my application and will be going for the first time. Hope my knees don't shake too much at the 10 yard line shooting the plates.

Welcome Aboard, you'll have a great time and meet some very good people that will help you in any way. Enjoy :P