Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" Fat Free

lucas

What is the feature's and benefit of a bennie hill 6" fat free opposed to a 5" reg ,or long dust cover.I thought it was for shooters wanting extra weight up front,like a 5" with long dust cover,but i read on another post about how much lighter the slides are etc.Whats the point ,i'm confused.

Being as I am a potential customer for that pistol, I can only give you my reasoning on the purchase.

1. Longer sight radius for more precise shooting, compared to 5"

2. Longer barrel means more velocity with equal pressure compared to 5"

3. Standard longslide is heavier than " fatfree ", fatfree weight is closer to 5"

4. Benny Hill has a sterling reputation here, and this is a tough crowd.

Fatfree owners feel free to correct me if i'm wrong , but a 6' that handles like a 5" sounds pretty good to me.

Travis F.

I've been a fan of the long slides for years. I like the long sight radius and the velocity that extra inch gives you. But, the guns are heavier, harder to start and stop and the slower slide speed makes the guns feel slugish and slow, which they are. I feel the same way about the slab sided full dust cover guns, I bought one of those and never liked it until Benny cut the frame back to standard and milled the flutes back into the slide. I have one of the first fat free 6s now for about a year and a half and I will never shoot a 5 again. The frames are standard, no trick stuff there, just a good trigger job and good parts that work every time. The slide is milled forward and aft on both sides, flat topped and slotted on both sides and top, has the serations just in front of the port and weighs a little less than a 5in classic slide. The barrel is a shuman ultimatch and is fluted to match the slide slots. The gun uses a 5in steel guide rod and spring. This pistol is a 1/2 oz lighter than a 5in. The slide speed feels faster than a 5in and the gun just snaps back on target. With equal bullet wts I can make major with .3 grains less powder which gives a shorter pulse, less recoil and less rise. The gun has been 100% reliable from the first shot. Larry

Theres not alot of noticeable difference in sight radius between the 5" and 6" Where the big difference lies in in the load. I loaded about 4/10th of a grain less and got the same pf as in my 5", so it shoots soft

My 6" slide weighed the same as my 5" so the recoil was almost the same (To me, at least) But the muzzle flip is dramatically less (to me). IMHO if you want a really soft shooting gun, go with the 6" and stop playing with stuff like Recoil Masters, Tungsten gr's and SpringCo's.

This gun sounds seriously intriguing.

Does Benny Hill have a website, or is there a website I can visit to see his guns? All my google searches just come up with a puerile British comedian who does potty humor, even when I try to add "guns" or "gunsmith" to the search.

How much does one of these things cost, anyway?

DD

Benny's got what he calls "The Texas Flu". He sounds like shit and should be home resting, but he was still in the shop this morning (this man has work-ethic!)

Maybe if you call soon you'll catch him.....

6" is the way to go, I would recommend it to anyone, but it must be lightened to reach its potential and give good handling. I would never shoot a 5" again if I could find a way to get my 6" in that stupid IPSC box they use overseas. B)