Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 gun cart for limited space

rob_noel

Greetings,

I'm a genuine newbie when it comes to 3-gun, so I find myself looking at all the gear that I want, and prioritizing what to buy first, etc. One small stumbling block that I hit, though, was that the 3-gun carts that are based on jogging strollers are all too big for my tiny car. I've got a Porsche, and not much room to haul goodies for the match, so I needed to come up with something quick for the match this coming Saturday, and I think I've done OK for myself. It's an open topped semi-rigid tool bag from Lowe's, a folding handtruck, and some bungies. A quick dry run seemed to indicate that it'll work, too.

Pro:

1. It stands up straight, even with no weight in it but the guns, and seems quite stable.

2. I can take it apart and fit it in the back trunk of a Boxster

3. It's modular, so if I need to add an ammo can under the tool bag, I can.

Cons:

1. The tires are lame for gravel, but better than nothing. I've learned this from going up and down Viale at Camp Perry. Wish I could have the air filled knobby tires with this.

2. The bag seems a little small, I might want to get a bigger one, or maybe just strap a tacklebox under it.

3. I might be limited to two, maybe 3 long guns on the cart, but it's still within the scope of my needs.

Anyway, thanks for listening. Maybe this will help someone somewhere down the road. A couple pics:

3guncart-1.jpg

3guncart-2.jpg

3guncart-3.jpg

Thanks for all the kind replies. I agree about hot barrels and rain protection. I figure an old towel or a couple oven mitts would provide heat shielding, and that I'll pack a big garbage bag for tactical rain protection, like I used to do in cross-course high power.

Hey, at least I don't need to pack a shooting jacket, mat, and spotting scope!

I started out with that exact same hand truck. It worked great for about 6 matches, then it got to where a wheel would just fold in while you were pulling it. The whole kit would then tip, and dump half your stuff on the ground. I ended up going to a red wagon, but that ended up being a pain also, so now I simply use a 5.11 double bag, and carry a large pistol bag for the rest of the stuff. I think your cart is a good idea, but watch the wheels for sure. Maybe if they could make one a little sturdier or something....Also, Bass Pro has a set of ATV handlebar gun holders that will clamp to your upper. Works great, and you won't have your long guns held on with a bungee.

I have the same or similar hand truck fitted with a cooler and a big bin. It works good until you get into sand or gravel then you find the wheels are too small. You end up just dragging it with the wheels doing one revolution from time to time.

• 1 month later...

I built a similar setup for highpower a few years ago. I used a milk crate instead of your bag.

Worked fine in the garage and driveway. At the range, one of the wheel struts broke before I even got to the 200 yd line. These will hold up on concrete/cement but sand or gravel will snap the wheel mounts eventually. If yours is metal then it may be more durable. Mine looked like cast aluminum but was plastic.

I did have a 15lb rifle, ammo, weighted scope stand, shooting jacket, mat, and shooters stool so maybe weight was the problem but I think those claim to be rated for 125lbs.

Hope it holds up for you.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar hand truck and the wheel mounts get clogged with mud if the ground is at all wet and then the wheels don't turn. If someone made a folding hand truck with 8" or bigger wheels it would be perfect.

• 1 month later...