Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting Revolver

OkieZombies

Going today to file my taxes - hope to have a little bit of discretionary spending money.

Disclaimer: I know very little about revolvers other than I had a magnificent time shooting my GP100 last week at the range.

I want to start shooting revolver in USPSA. There are two routes I could go:

1) S&W 625 (JM?).

2) use the Ruger GP100 that I already have.

Comments:

I can reload for 45 and 357.

I want a S&W 625.

I have a Ruger GP100.

I like shooting revolvers.

Questions:

1) To use the Ruger GP100, I would probably have to get the cylinder chamferred and made to accept moon clips. Would it just be easier to start with the 625 since it's ready to go out of the box? I hear the round-nose 45 rounds are also quicker to reload anyway.

2) What holster to use and where to get it?

3) What do I need to know about moon clips? I have never used them.

4) What moonclip holders to use, where to get them, and how many to get?

5) Any other gear related suggestions.

Get a 625 and load round nose bullets.

Holster-I started with speed holsters and always worried about dumping the gun. I'd suggest kydex or the Safariland 0..something.

Moonclips-don't bend them. Stuff with 6, dump into revo. Get or make a demooning tool. It saves fingers.

Moonclip holders-North Mountain or Speedee(?) Rack. Personal preference here. I have both and like them both.

Make a rack for your gearbag to hold moonclips. A board (cut to fit in the inner bag of the Shooters Connection Tourney bag),with 12 vertical dowels hold 288 moonclipped rounds.

Shooters Connection has most all your revolver needs. They are closet wheelgunners but have bowed to peer pressure and shoot bottom feeders.

You may eventually want a trigger job. Carmoney does a great job.

Have fun!

Dave

Going today to file my taxes - hope to have a little bit of discretionary spending money.

Disclaimer: I know very little about revolvers other than I had a magnificent time shooting my GP100 last week at the range.

I want to start shooting revolver in USPSA. There are two routes I could go:

1) S&W 625 (JM?).

2) use the Ruger GP100 that I already have.

Comments:

I can reload for 45 and 357.

I want a S&W 625.

I have a Ruger GP100.

I like shooting revolvers.

Questions:

1) To use the Ruger GP100, I would probably have to get the cylinder chamferred and made to accept moon clips. Would it just be easier to start with the 625 since it's ready to go out of the box? I hear the round-nose 45 rounds are also quicker to reload anyway.

2) What holster to use and where to get it?

3) What do I need to know about moon clips? I have never used them.

4) What moonclip holders to use, where to get them, and how many to get?

5) Any other gear related suggestions.

1.Get a 625 and don't look back. Send it to Carmoney for an action job and you

are all set.

2. Holsters, Most use the Cr Speed. Some have switched to just a kydex holster.

Can't go wrong with either. Buy your stuff from Dealers on Brians sight.

3. 45 ACP moonclips are pretty simple. Not brass specific like the .357. Most

get them from Ranch products, Brownells, or TK Custom. They are cheap. Get

enough to get you through a match without having to re-load them during the

match.

4. Buy you moon clip holder from Bob Perdue. North Mountain Moon Clip holder.

You can buy direct from Bob, or shooters connection has them as well.Most

usethe 4 post model with a single one behind the holster for loading.

5. Get a stripper tool of some sort and maybe a loading tool as well. I use

the stripper that looks like a screwdriver, works well. I bought the loader

that Dillon carries. It works well but I had to have it modified to work

with all my different calibers.

Tom

Not to forcefully disagree with the previous posters who advocate your buying the 625... but since you already have a GP-100 I'm wondering why you don't start with that?.... see how you like revolver... and go from there. That puts you about $600 (?) ahead of the curve to start with. I shoot a GP-100 in IDPA (Expert now, will make Master next classifier) and use the same gear on those infrequent occasisons that I shoot USPSA. I'm upper C Class there with the Ruger and Minor loads. You didn't mention what your barrel length is, but you can make Major (if you feel it is an advantage) with a 180 grain slug at 925 FPS. From a 4 inch barrel there is an increase in recoil. From a 6 inch tube it's negligible. If you reload, these 165 PF loads are easy to make in .38 cases as long as you shoot them in a .357 gun (they are above +P in pressure at 925 fps). With your existing GP-100 you only need a holster (I like Blade Tech), 6 or 7 Comp IIIs, and enough speedloader carriers to hold them. That's a wallet friendly way to see how you like revolver.

If you are POSITIVE that revolver is for you... then by all means open the wallet, go to the 625... send it to Carmony so that it will work right (not all 625s do from the factory)... load 230 grain slugs to 740 fps (lead if your barrel will shoot them, many that I've seen in 625s won't give decent accuracy with lead... the GP-100 likes lead) get the clips, clip loading tool, holster, clip carriers, and have fun. But, you might save some money and time if you start with what you have and see where your passion carries you.

Chris Christian

I would be happy using the GP100.... but then the question remains: a) speedloaders or B) moonclips and then....

given speedloaders, what kind of carriers, where to get them, etc.

PM me if you want.

I really like my GP100.

6" Barrel.

I don't know whether to go with speedloaders or moon clips, and which are the best.

Holster would probably be some Kydex piece.... speedloaders HKS....

could I be moderately competitive at a local level with HKS speedloaders? And who makes the best speedloader holders again?

Edited by OkieZombies

Go to Safariland Comp III speedloaders. They are head & shoulders above HKS. I've used both. You may have to modify the factory square butt grips slightly to work with them, but the factory round butt grips are good to go as is. Check with Blade Tech and see if they can do a drop holster for a 6 inch GP-100. Safariland makes three slot holders for their Comp IIIs and they work well. I use them for USPSA (just remove the little insert in each that is intended for Comp II use). If you want to make Major in a 6 inch, check Hodgdon's loading manual... Longshot, or H4227 is likely to get you the 925 fps you need from .38 cases with a lot less recoil than you might expect... and I suspect other "medium" burn rate powders will as well. I'm running Speer 180 TMJ Silhouette bullets and Hornady 180 grain XTP at 770 fps (for Minor... I only need 695 fps) from a four inch with the same (or slighly less recoil) than a 158 grain to the same 125 PF. Add two inches of barrel and another grain or so of powder and you're likely at 925, with very little recoil increase from the heavier gun. My four inch weighs 39 ounces and Ruger says the 6 inch goes 45 ounces. My 4 inch gun is geared to IDPA, where I spend my serious match/travel dollars. But, if I was serious about USPSA I'd run a 6 inch with the 925 180 loads, and may actually do that if I get a few extra bucks and some motivation.

Chris Christian

You can also use the 625 in IDPA ESR Div if it has a barrel no longer than 4 -inch. One gun would then work for USPSA & IDPA. It just depends on finances. But, if you start with the GP-100 you already have you save some bucks, and if you find revolver is not for you, you're not out much in the way of money. I prefer the GP-100 over S&Ws from a mechanical standpoint, but that's just my personal opinion. I've won IDPA trophies with both. Wilson Combat makes a spring kit for the GP-100 that is very nice. Mine has a butter-smooth 8 pound DA pull and will light off primers other than Federal. I suggest you see if you can play with both and pick what you, and your wallet, prefer. Revolver... whether IDPA, ICORE, or USPSA is a lot of fun... especially when you start beating a bunch of the semi-auto crowd.

Chris Christian

Much has already been said, but above all WELCOME to the lonely world of revo shooting. I shoot revo in USPSA and get my procedurals with a revo in IDPA and love ICORE. Problem with shooting revo in USPSA is the very small turnout at most matches. That being said, I still find revo to be the most fun and the best challenge. Welcome aboard !!!

I've been looking at the 625 also. I have a 686-1 6 inch that I really like to shoot. I already shoot USPSA PRODUCTION with a G34, and IDPA with the same.

Now I am looking at Revos, and have to decide if I go new or save a few bucks and get new springs, recess cylinder for M-clips, and get new sites for the 686.

My adise is get the S&W 625 and don't llok back. I shoot S&W 686 in 38 Super, ^27's in 357 and 38 Supet, 646 & 610 in 40 S&W and a 625. If I had to limit myself to one revolver it would be the 625 - ultra fast on the reloads with those big holes and heavy bullets, readilly available components, and great accuracy.

Is there a barrel length limit for the action shooting leaugs for revo?

I wondered if I can use S&W 610 W/ 6.5"

In USPSA no. That 610 could compete with a 625 no problem.

IDPA has a maximum barrel length of 4". So that barrel length is not legal

for IDPA

Tom

I shoot a 625 so I am biased but I see no reason you couldn't shoot the GP100 with speed loaders for awhile getting your feet wet. I watched a Revo shooter at the Nationals shooting Production Division with an 8 round 38 spec and speed loaders. He didn't win but I think it improved his scores when he did shoot Revolver Division.

Which ever gun you decide on is going to require practice before you start winning.

Will the 610 load as fast as the 625 ?

I have heard that some guys are not having good luck with 7 & 8 round .357 s with moon clips because of the long .357 cases, but the .40 are a lot shorter,and should be simmilar to the .45acp. so I wondered if any one has any experience with the 610- 625- 627- 685+.

• 3 months later...

I too am going to try revolver for my next uspsa match. I'm running a 686 6" .357 and I'm planning on working up a 158 grain major load. I'm using comp III loaders and a safariland cup holster. as I read the rules I think I'm covered. If I were the OP I would use the ruger If I already had it. Am I missing something?

Mule

For moonclips, you may want to look at those El Cheapo plastic tackle boxes from your neighbourhood Megalomart.

Width wise, they fit a loaded moonclip perfectly and you can get 10 or so clips in one row.

At four rows per tacklebox, you have plenty ammo with you.

Have fun with your wheelgun - it's waaay different. :cheers:

i have a 4" 610 5"625 use the speed sec holster for both dont shoot idpa anymore just uspsa like the 5" 625 better faster to reload bigger holes can actualy get round nose bullets for 45 good smith up the road in kansas done both of my revos Greg Copeland email if you need number