Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

joz00

Hello, I just joined your forum today thanks to a recommendation of a good friend of mine. I started to peruse the topics and can see that I'll learn a lot and hopefully be able to contribute from time to time.

I've recently started shooting USPSA and am having a blast (pun intended). I hope to start reloading in the future but that is limited by a 7mo old boy and a stay at home wife right now. All in all I am more of a lurker than a poster, and post only when I have something constructive to say so be wary when I do speak :) Nice to meet ya'll.

Welcome! Lurking gets boring. So with that in mind, What gun are you using? Have you shot any matches?

Trust me, been there done that, "New family thing". Look around for some kind of used reloader, even a single stage press. They are pretty much indestructible and will save you a pretty penny.

Just have fun shooting and take it slow when it comes to buying anything for this game. Look around and see what other shooters are using. Nothing worse than buying stuff and finding out it won't work for us.

Good luck!

Welcome! Lurking gets boring. So with that in mind, What gun are you using? Have you shot any matches?

Trust me, been there done that, "New family thing". Look around for some kind of used reloader, even a single stage press. They are pretty much indestructible and will save you a pretty penny.

Just have fun shooting and take it slow when it comes to buying anything for this game. Look around and see what other shooters are using. Nothing worse than buying stuff and finding out it won't work for us.

Good luck!

Hey Sarge,

If you can believe it I'm shooting my carry piece, a G26. I've only shot 2 matches thus far but I'm fairly certain I'm addicted now. I'm saving up for a G22 which I plan on shooting in 9mm until I can afford to reload 40. But family comes first and my "hobby" is at the bottom of the bill list :)

I'm lucky as I have two friends who have nice reloading set ups and have been very generous with their time and assistance ensuring I have enough ammo to burn through for the matches. If not for them I would not be competing, much less shooting at the range.

I get ideas and then run them past my friends who are older and wiser than I before making any purchases. Problem is they keep telling me to buy the more expensive (better crafted) stuff instead of the cheap stuff I find and think I can afford :)

Good luck!

Hey Sarge,

I'm lucky as I have two friends who have nice reloading set ups and have been very generous with their time and assistance ensuring I have enough ammo to burn through for the matches. If not for them I would not be competing, much less shooting at the range.

Friends like that are good friends indeed. Get together and buy some bulk components.

Jung, welcome to BrianEnos.com. :)

Sadly, you will not be able to shoot your Glock 22 as a 9mm in USPSA Production, since changing the caliber by switching barrels and magazines is illegal. If you want to shoot 9mm, just get a Glock 17.

Thanks for the information Duane!

I was hoping I could use a 9mm barrel as I didn't see a specific ruling in the USPSA manual prohibitting it but I could have easily overlooked it. I have been and plan on shooting in Limited and had read that replacement barrels were ok as long as they were the same length as the production barrel. I checked and both are 4.49" long. Maybe not in the spirit of the rules but I was hoping I could squeak past :) I would like to shoot major in the future in .40 but am planning on sticking with 9mm or the time being. But if that is the case I'll end up grabbing a G17 and maybe a 22 later when I can afford it. Thanks again!

I was hoping I could use a 9mm barrel as I didn't see a specific ruling in the USPSA manual prohibitting it but I could have easily overlooked it. I have been and plan on shooting in Limited and had read that replacement barrels were ok as long as they were the same length as the production barrel. I checked and both are 4.49" long. Maybe not in the spirit of the rules but I was hoping I could squeak past :) I would like to shoot major in the future in .40 but am planning on sticking with 9mm or the time being. But if that is the case I'll end up grabbing a G17 and maybe a 22 later when I can afford it. Thanks again!

You can use a Glock 22 with the replacement 9mm barrel in limited. You can not in production.

MDA

Thanks for the information Duane!

Yer welcome. :)

Most people don't use 9mm in Limited because it will score Minor. Shooting Minor against folks shooting Major is not something most people want to do. OTOH in Production everything scores Minor so there's no reason to fire anything more, ahem, vigorous than 9mm.

I hear what you are saying!

I would like to shoot major in the future but funds are tight and getting set up to pump out one caliber is going to be a strain on the budget as it is. I wanted to grab the G22 so I had that option in the future, rather than having to buy another pistol for that purpose. Off to work I go, earning some nickels to shoot some more :)