Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading on the move

No.343

I think I finally understand the mechanics of reloading my revolver. However, when I have a little bit of a distance to move between shooting positions and I try to move fast my reloads don't go so well. Whenever there is a short distance between positions and I'm walking everything seems fine. I'm not sure what's happening and I don't have enough room to practice that while dry firing. Please educate me.

Less movement = smoother reload. There's too much opportunity for the OS Factor when trying to reload while running full bore. I'd say reload at your normal pace and then run to the next position. I don't think you're going to find that many courses of fire where you have to run - there are exceptions - but you can save more time making the smooth reload and getting the gun up on target before you get to the next position. The good shooters are ready to shoot when they hit their position. They're not necessarily the fastest but they tend to be the smoothest.

Jerry

+1 to that. I have put a timer on revolver reloads at various movement speeds (I shoot a speedloader gun, so take that into consideration as a clip gun can be a bit different). I find that smooth movement makes a smooth reload without losing a round from bouncing on the run. A moderate movement pace to the next shooting position doesn't impede a reload, but if I try to run fast Mr. Murphy often shows up and puts me behind the curve.

Chris Christian

You're thinking in steps, and this is a process problem. What you want to do is arrive at your next firing location as quickly as possible, ready to shoot.

You have to balance speed of movement with dexterity of loading, for the least time possible spent not shooting. For Jerry, that means fast, for others not-so-fast.

What it means for you will be determined by direction, distance, footing, and the practice you put in. A timer helps.

You guys are bringing up good points that are helping me replay in my mind some of the reloads I was thinking about. I can stay focused on the reloading process while standing or moving slowly, but when moving faster I was turning my attention to moving and where I was headed. It seems that I was starting and stopping the process several times, but I still had an expectation of when the reload should have been completed. Missed expectations gave me the feeling that something was not right. I definitely need to get home and practice this with a timer. The end of March isn't going to get here fast enough.

You're thinking in steps, and this is a process problem. What you want to do is arrive at your next firing location as quickly as possible, ready to shoot.

You have to balance speed of movement with dexterity of loading, for the least time possible spent not shooting. For Jerry, that means fast, for others not-so-fast.

What it means for you will be determined by direction, distance, footing, and the practice you put in. A timer helps.

Pat sums it up pretty much. Get to the next shooting position as quickly as possible and be reloaded ready to fire when you get there. When advancing on targets unless I have to there anyway when I am finished reloading I engage the targets from where I finish reloading "if it saves me steps to the next array" If I have to advance through the target array any way I get closer and step up the cadence. Clear as mud? Hope it is at least helpful. later rdd

You will not be competitive at the higher levels of USPSA unless you can reload on the fly. Back when I was learning the game, I practiced performing reloads in my yard (I live out in the country and can shoot here at my place) until I could accomplish the reload in the middle of a flat-out run.

Remember, even when you're running, you have to use your eyes to "watch" the reload go into the gun. Use your peripheral vision to keep from falling down or running into stuff. The more you do it, the faster it will get.

You will not be competitive at the higher levels of USPSA unless you can reload on the fly. Back when I was learning the game, I practiced performing reloads in my yard (I live out in the country and can shoot here at my place) until I could accomplish the reload in the middle of a flat-out run.

Remember, even when you're running, you have to use your eyes to "watch" the reload go into the gun. Use your peripheral vision to keep from falling down or running into stuff. The more you do it, the faster it will get.

I have a park in my back yard, I just wonder if my neighbors will would mind me running around my back yard with a gun dry-firing and practicing reloads on the move? :surprise: I guess the worst that could happen is I get a visit from Rochesters finest, and explain what I am doing. :goof:

• 2 weeks later...

I tried loading before moving aggresively this weekend. I don't have any way to practice, so I don't if it was faster but it sure feels a lot smoother. I had a stage where I went from a kneeling position to a different location and the reload went well. I thought that had the potential for frustration. I used my "oh-crap" moonclip behind my holster and had most of the reload done while I stood up. If I can get that straining screw to stay tight I will be a very happy camper.