Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What powder does CCI use in 9mm Blazer ammo?

z06pilot

Ammunition companies consider what powder they use proprietary information, thus rarely if ever release that data to the public. Also which powder they use can vary from year to year, or even lot to lot, based on what's available.

So the short answer: no, no one can answer this question. Unless they actually work at CCI in the factory, they probably don't actually know. And any answer you get now might well depend on lot number, anyway. Sorry.

The powder you and I buy is refered to as canister grade. It's essentially a QC guarantee that the powder you buy today as Brand X will have the same bulk density and burning rate as the can your grandfather bought 50 years ago.

To produce canister grade powders, the manufacturers have to maintain excellent QC in the process, and address any variables to deliver an absolutely consistant product.

The ammo companies MIGHT use canister grade powder in thier ammo, but they don't have to. The ammo companies simply need to be able to load ammo that propels a projectile at a given velocity withing a given pressure range. Non-canister grade powder is often used. In some cases, non-canister grade powder is sold to the public as a one-off lot usually with some loading data developed with that lot.

I've been told (but I can't confirm) that Winchester uses the equivalent of Alliant Power Pistol in their 40 S&W white box loads. Alliant has lots of info for Power Pistol (I load 40 with it, so...). Apparently it's a very good powder for 9mm as well.