Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finally got a 625...what next?

signsrup

I've sold a couple of autos lately, and I already bought a 4" 625 1989. I'm wondering what to buy next.

Luckily, here in central VA, we have access to IDPA, USPSA, and ICORE, and steel matches, all within driving range. I've shot a 581, model 64, model 10, and model 19 (all in IDPA) before I found the 625. I must admit, the only matches i've shot are a few IDPA, and a few "outlaw" steel matches.

I'm torn between buying another ACP wheelie ( i like redundancy), or maybe a 627. Maybe a 586 worked over and cut for moons (but it's still a 6 shot).

I was thinking of buying something I could shoot as a "second" gun, but maybe I could benefit more by shhoting the 625 with moons, and then turn around and shoot it with Auto Rim brass in speedloaders.

What are your opinions?

I've sold a couple of autos lately, and I already bought a 4" 625 1989. I'm wondering what to buy next.

Luckily, here in central VA, we have access to IDPA, USPSA, and ICORE, and steel matches, all within driving range. I've shot a 581, model 64, model 10, and model 19 (all in IDPA) before I found the 625. I must admit, the only matches i've shot are a few IDPA, and a few "outlaw" steel matches.

I'm torn between buying another ACP wheelie ( i like redundancy), or maybe a 627. Maybe a 586 worked over and cut for moons (but it's still a 6 shot).

I was thinking of buying something I could shoot as a "second" gun, but maybe I could benefit more by shhoting the 625 with moons, and then turn around and shoot it with Auto Rim brass in speedloaders.

What are your opinions?

Hi Eric,

Looking forward to shooting with you at the Fredericksburg USPSA match next month.

Bob

Take some time to stop and think what you really like to shoot the most, then get something geared for that. If Steel or Icore, the 627 might be better. If IDPA, a 6 shot K or L frame might be better. If your 625 can cover the 6 shot games, maybe an 8 shot would fill in the gaps.

I agree with Toolguy. I'd be looking for a nice 8-shot next.

A good 625 and 8-shot 627 will handle pretty much all the competition wheelgunning you will find out there. If you want to shoot IDPA SSR, a 4" K- or L-frame .38/.357 is something you will need also.

Edited by Carmoney

• 4 weeks later...

What are your opinions?

For IDPA, I use a model 586 or just an old simple model 10.

An 8 shot model 627 for ICORE & Steel (I need the 8 shots for steel mostly) not much advantange in ICORE, but sometimes..

After I bought my first 625 (a model of 1989) I soon bought another. Followed that by getting a 627 in 38 Super.

For reasons unknown, I shoot the 625's better?

Edited by RussB

I bought a 625, tons of moonclips, holster, moon clip holders, had the 625 gone over completely, developed loads for it, etc.

Now it sits in the safe most of the time. I shoot it when there is snow on the ground so I don't lose all my brass.

• 2 weeks later...