Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need help establishing a personal firearms policy on a military base

I want to stem off a blanket policy that will make owning firearms more difficult at my Base. I solicit your help to that end. Now the story...

In light of some recent incidents, my Commander is concerned about guns and gun safety. This evening I had to recall all of my people and give them a gun safety briefing. Before that, I attended a meeting where there were already calls to make people interview with the Commander before they would be allowed to purchase guns. They were talking about gun-locks and registrations, even for people living off-base. And of course a repeat of the first briefing from Local Law Enforcement and the Base Security about gun safety and local laws.

I was one of a few that tried to argue that education is a good thing; but gun locks, registration, and Commander Interviews are not going to stop stupid people doing stupid things with firearms. I made the analogy to DWI's, people will still get them no matter how many times you tell them not to drink and drive. It is a personal responsibility to safely handle your weapons. I suggested getting some real firearms trainers to brief safety to the squadron members and I will be contacting some local trainers I know over the weekend to try to set something up quick.

I haven't shot any USPSA since I hurt my arm almost three years ago, but I can't think a better group of people to help me come up with ideas to actually help my squadron members with firearm safety and to help stem off stupid rules that will not help anyone.

One thing I think I can sell to the Commander is a voluntary NRA course that the squadron pays for.

Please don't comment on how stupid these incidents are; that is self evident and will get this thread closed. Please give me ideas for how to help my squadron move forward in a positive way.

One thing I think I can sell to the Commander is a voluntary NRA course that the squadron pays for.

Sounds to me like that should be MANDATORY, at the very least.

+1

train train train and pray

Good luck...hope it gets better.

Please give me ideas for how to help my squadron move forward in a positive way.

Tough. When I was in the Army, no weapons (of any kind) were allowed in the barracks at all and only shotguns were allowed in base housing. Everything else had to be secured in the armory. Perhaps it has changed but I was rather under the assumption that this was Federal rather than Army rules. In any event that really has nothing to do with anything.

This almost raises more questions that solutions.

Are these incidents isolated cases of stupid/careless/etc behavior or is there a general lack of proper firearm discipline?

If it is the latter, then it would seem to be an issue for the Training Officer/NCO because it effects combat readiness.

If it is the former, then it would still seem to be an issue for the Training Officer/NCO for the same reason but more so since it can effect all aspects of job performance.

IOW, the answer to the question of WHY these things happened may be as important as what to do about them. Just putting people into a class may not do any good by itself if there is a general careless regard for safety in the squadron.

Edited by Graham Smith

Unfortuneatly some incidents have to do with the common sense (or lack of) of the individual and all the training in the world may not help these folks.

That said, a good Hunter Safety Course in a classroom setting will give the basics needed to be safe. Ongoing training, possibly in a "competition" format would further enhance awareness.

It wouldn't be the first time we had an "experienced" shooter show up as a "newbie" to a USPSA match and not be as safe as our sport requires. But most want to compete and are willing to learn to shoot matches safely.

Getting them involved in some sort of match with zero tolerance for safety issues may be the carrot that accomplishes your goal.

Bill

I don't have any magic answer for you. As a former Senior NCO I understand your commanders position, he has to do something or he will get an OER that says something like this officer goes thru life pushing on doors that say pull.

At the least they should require each Airman to complete an approved gun safety course. I'm old Army so in addition the Airman would need approval from his 1SG, the 1SG affirms the individual is mature and responsible and has completed the required safety training . This puts the NCO in the responsibility chain, and if he is a good one he will take care of business or should I say she..

Similar to what Flatlander said...

I have not seen the level of safety practiced...no, demanded, in any situations other than competitive shooting. If you could get more of them involved in something like USPSA, I can only believe that the safety they exhibit themselves and then demand from others will be better.