Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good, clean pistol powder?

slavic09

OK, youre right .... I was way off on the comment of $5 more. So lets do the math with the numbers you gave.

S1000 for $104.5/8lb. = $52.25 for 4 lbs. (and again I can get 5K out of a 4lbs. jug) so 52.25 divided by 5 = $10.45/1K right?

N320 is $90/4lbs. = $18/1K which is $7.55 extra for every 1000 rounds I shoot. (which depending on the weather & scheduling could take me a month or two)

If someone said that for $7.50 I didnt have to clean my gun as much, worry about smoke getting in my way, or worry about jams caused by excessive gunk build up ...... I'd say "where do I sign". :rolleyes:

But Solo 1000 isn't dirty. At least not in my Glock with my load. I'll save the $7.50 and buy american.

OK, youre right .... I was way off on the comment of $5 more. So lets do the math with the numbers you gave.

S1000 for $104.5/8lb. = $52.25 for 4 lbs. (and again I can get 5K out of a 4lbs. jug) so 52.25 divided by 5 = $10.45/1K right?

N320 is $90/4lbs. = $18/1K which is $7.55 extra for every 1000 rounds I shoot. (which depending on the weather & scheduling could take me a month or two)

If someone said that for $7.50 I didnt have to clean my gun as much, worry about smoke getting in my way, or worry about jams caused by excessive gunk build up ...... I'd say "where do I sign". :rolleyes:

But Solo 1000 isn't dirty. At least not in my Glock with my load. I'll save the $7.50 and buy american.

:blink: Buy American? To run in your Glock? :goof:

Ok, I have to admit that is pretty funny. ;):goof:

:blink: Buy American? To run in your Glock? :goof:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

In reply to post #25.....

Not only is it cool; it means less hassle when changing calibers.

I load 4.2 of WST in:

1. 185gr Remington jacketed match SWC .45 for bullseye

2. 200gr Bayou Bullet .45 SWC for my HK45C carry gun practice load (yeah, that's light. So sue me; I'm getting old and frail)

3. 165gr PD .40 S&W ball for a practice load in my HK USPc .40

4. 115gr PD 9mm ball for wife to practice with her HK P2000

The 9mm load is a bit stout, compared to the others; but accuracy is fine and functioning is flawless in all of them.

And I NEVER have to dick around with adjusting the powder measure.

I'm about to start loading .38 Special, probably with the Bayou Bullets 125 LRN. Guess what powder charge I'll try first????? :-)

Edited by LSP972

• 6 months later...

How about one that you can just leave your powder measure on the same setting for both 9 mm 40, and 45.

I shoot 9 mm 125gr Zero's with 4.7gr of WST 1.140 (130 pf) and I shoot 45 200gr Precison Moly with 4.7gr of WST OAL is 1.200 (PF 169). The same setting works for 40 with 185 gr Precision Moly 4.7gr (PF 168). go figure.

WST is clean, cheap, available, albiet temp sensative.

My second choice would be Clays. I use it mostly in 45 with Precision 200's 4.3gr (170 pf), again cheap and clean.

Clays shoots a tad softer than WST but both make good loads for un-compensated guns.

THis has me intrigued 4.7 wst in 9mm is it accurate and what is the max for a 124 jhp mg if you have more info about these loads and chrono data that would be awesome.

The Solo has always been a source of confusion for me. It seems to be a very good powder.....although as pointed out buying American to shoot in Glock is a bit of a dicodamy. I can't get straight answers on what to load 9mm 124g Round Nose Berry bullets for my CZ SP-01.

I I have heard so many varying answers that I have not tried the powder yet. I have used various other types in the past and am happy with a couple recipes I have. However I am always open for new things and Solo sounds pretty good.

I do like a clean powder I am under the impression Solo is a clean burning powder.

RCG

Edited by recoilguy

I don't know if the powder would still be good 45,000 rounds later! Holy cow, 26#'s?!! :surprise:

I use Clays and Billy Bullets 200gr Moly SWC's. I took my gun completely apart at 1000 rounds and much to my suprise there was no gunk inside. I would field strip it and just wipe the old oil off the bushing, barrel, and other visible parts and reapply as well as re-slide-glide the slide rails. I just run a bore swab through the barrel after every match or practice (because I like fiddling with my gun) and the barrel is still really shiny inside with no apparent build up in the grooves or throat. I have not used any solvent yet. I honestly found it strange that it was so clean.